Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Rim width Change Traction?

***Last posts from Old Forums***

Massakins - Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:01 pm I'm currently
    using a 5" wide Mitchell wheel with a Goodyear D2982 (7") slick on my
    turbo Suzuki. What would I expect to gain by changing to a wider rim if
    staying with the "small" tire What about 17" instead of 18" Is the
    overall width of a 6" x 18" rim any greater than when using the 5" rim
    I'm trying to figure if the gain justifies the cost. Any thoughts would
    be appreciated. Thanks, Pat
    brandi@dragbike.com - Email me with site suggestions, complaints or praise. I am here to help!

in a car tire bike the rim width changes the tire growth. But the tire pressure is what you change for traction.

with the bike tire it works close to the same but Growth is less of a factor.

I'd say if you get the rim width as close to the tread width you'd have max traction and adjusting the pressure will be your tuning for traction.

Good luck.

Edited by: Shawn Garrigan
    ...With a Bridgeport, Engine Lathe,and a Tig welder. I'll make it.

http://www.garrigans.hostcentric.com...gIndyStart.jpg

DaveDole
    Pretty much what Shawn says.Is the current wheel you're running now laying all of the tire downWhen properly inflated. is the tire flat and straight all the way across or is it semi roundedI myself, like to run as high pressure as possible to maintain stability at top end.I like to run as much pressure as I can without disstortin the tire's flat surface.As far as 18 vs. 17,I also would like to leave a longer footprint from a larger diameter tire.Just like gears, you can either have more area by width or by diameter.I miss goodyear's 8.5x25.0-18 rear tire.They could go pretty fast with the right tune up.I know the mickey has a wider side wall and maybe more forgiving about the clutch set up and launch.Hopefully,some folk with more experiance than me and going real fast will offer some advice on small tires and their set ups.Dave

Dave your advice is right on from my testing. I like the 17 over the 18 because it's a little harder compound and more sidewall. The 18 seemed to roll up to much for me. I use 8-8.2 psi on my 17x7 rim, works great. I widened a 18 to 6.75 and that seemed perfict for that tire (MT's). Missed ya @ Gainsville.

Tim

Currently using a 5" wide rim with a 5/8" offset sprocket with less than 1/8" clearance between chain and sidewall. Not too much between frame and chain either. Will changing from a 5" rim to a 6-1/2" rim affect the overall mounted width, i.e. chain clearance Right now my tire is wearing thinnest in the center, indicating toonarrow a rim. What do you guys see

Yes it will widen the profile. You could go to a 7/8 offset sprocket. You should get a faily even wear pattern with a wider rim. Also try lowering your burnout speed as it makes the tire grow during burnouts

DaveDole
    Tim,that's exactly (8psi) what I run in my small tire.I've been running 5-5,5psi in the car tire which is 11.0"x29.0"-15.I wish I could have hooked up with you.I would have cooked ya a steak and friesMaybe at SEMDRA.Dave

[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]Sounds good Dave!!!! I'm planning on coming to at least one Semdra race next year,If nothin else to get me one of those super Semdra shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by massakins
    What do you guys see

what is your tire presure now

...With a Bridgeport, Engine Lathe,and a Tig welder. I'll make it.

http://www.garrigans.hostcentric.com...gIndyStart.jpg

Shawn, I've been running 8-1/2# to 9# in the rear; I realize this is high, but I weigh 280# dressed to ride and am trying to compensate here. Burnout is in 3rd gear at approx 6500 rpm. Dry hop shows even coloring full width and no light or dark areas. Appears to be a good combo, but narrow rim width has me suspicious as to the cause of center section wearing before sides. Video shows spinning in first three gears, audibly and with visible fish tail of back end. Fourth gear it settles down and pulls good. Best to date is 5.78 @ 126 in 1/8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast