Thread: max lift for stock kz guides

craigpuckett
    What is the max lift that I can run in a kz head without changing guidesI know I will have to clear the bucket holes and the stars and change springs.

Not very much,I think .375" lift. Almost any performance cam needs new guides. The APE guides will clear .500" lift. Actually I think all will clear stock,ie when you need to clear the bucket holes and the stars it needs new guides at the same time.

craigpuckett

oh well,looks like I'll be changing some guides as the smallest cam I have is an engle k-12 (.390)Is there any thing you guys like to use to seal the guides with (locktite,case sealer,)

also I am going to be using a manley puller,how hot does the head need to be

I've run .508 lift cams with stock guides with no problem...what are the bucket holes and stars

craigpuckett

Tim

the bucket holes are where the valve inverted bucket goes you have to clearance the front and back. the stars are the crosses in the cam cover.

did you have to machine the top of the guides for the .508 cams

Craig, I never machined any guides...If you have any doubt, assemble a valve and retainer in place with a light spring( like a cv carb slide spring) a mid sized shim and the bucket you are going to use, and see if the retainer hits the guide(or valve seal)...I don't believe it will...

I forgot about the reinforcing "stars" on the inside of the cam cover...the" bucket(lifter)" holes arecalled "lifter bores". there is a wire type clip in a groove machined into the guide to keep it from working down into the head..drive the guide up slightly to remove the clip,then drive the guide down and out through the combustion chamber...no heat,no sealer. If a new one is loose,ream the hole and use an oversize guide.

Hope this helps,Tim
    Some\'s good,more\'s better,and too much is just right....

Hi Floyd!

blowers_rule

Tim, would'nt that be a little risky to lower the guide in the head without any support to keep it from moving around. Once you move a guide in a head that has been heat cycled, don't you take a chance of removing a slight amount of material that keeps the guide stable. In my little peabrain way of thinking, I would just as soon spend a little bit of money on new guides thatcould handle any high lift cams that Imay wantto put in in the future.

Lower the guide I was just giving instructions on how to get one out...and yes, if you do remove some material, use an oversize guide...if there is nothing wrong with the stock guides,they will work fine with any lift cam you want....

Tim
    Some\'s good,more\'s better,and too much is just right....

Hi Floyd!

I think we are talking about a head that already has APE guides in it before you got it. I took a head from a salvage bike(Z-1) and the retainer hit the valve seal at .375" lift. APE guides clear .500" and was the cams I was putting into this head. I watched in disbelief that there was only that much travel available. I normally do Honda twin cam heads that are 4-valve shim and bucket. Those little dinky valves have enough travel to clear .400" lift. Maybe a "J" head or MkII has more stock,but a Z-1 hit at .375".