Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: time-cert -vs-heilicoil

craigpuckett

my question is this,I have a head that has had a heilicoil in#3 sparkplug hole,can I use a time-cert in it or am I stuck with the heilicoil

If I can use the time-cert where can I buy em at If its against the rules to post that, would someone PM me with the info.

thanks

... Craig, if the helicoil is not giving any trouble. Why not leave it alone Is the head off the engine If so you might want to carefully grind any of the end of the coil, if it is hanging in the chamber.

DaveDole
    Time sert is the best fix but after drilling and tapping for the heli coil, there may not be enough room/metal there to tap for the time sert.

craigpuckett

Roland;

It seems every time I change plugs the heilicoil comes out too,thats the reason I wanted to change.or if there's a fix for that I'm all ears.the head is off the bike right now but I want it as right as I can get it before reinstaling it.

thats what I was afraid of Dave [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

I still dont know where to buy the time-certs.I have a couple of cam cap bolts on another headthat are stripped out,if I dont use time-certs I'll have to tap em out to 1/4.

man this coming behind a hamfist with a3/4" breakover is a bummer.LOL

If the head is off the bike,it might be better to weld it up and retap.

Craig,

The time sert uses the same thread as a helicoil. It's a standard STI ( screw thread insert ). The major difference is that the timesert is solid . after it's installed, you run a roll (form) tap through it and it expands the insert to create an interference fit. It sounds like the tapped hole may be a bit oversized if the helicoil unscrews, but if it's only slightly over,a timesert and loctite will do the trick. The installation kit is a little pricey, but it's good stuff.Go here for info:

http://www.timesert.com/

Cool avatar Bill![img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]

If you have the room I personally like timesert over helicoil any day. I've always seen helicoils come unraveled. Dont forget to use anticeise(sp) cause they will rust. metal to metal instead of metal to aluminum [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Guess how I know[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

craigpuckett

THANKS Bill what you said is music to my ears.

and thanks to all the rest too,Dad always said 2 heads are better than one,but with this many heads you cant go wrong[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

if you are installing a Heli-coil to be used for a spark plug, be sure to use the insert that is made specifically for spark plugs, it's made out of copper (i think),if you dont use the right material you will isolate the heat being created by the plug just to the plug not into the rest of the combustion chamber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast