Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric/Air Shifter

What is the maximum length you would recommend for the air line from the Solenoid to the Air Cylinder on an Elec/Air system that uses a Dyna Shift Minder to kill the engine We have a bike that onlyshifts when it feels like it, very inconsistent and all the individual components test fine, including the transmission (New R&D 3sp) and clutch.
    Your never too old to learn something stupid.

W. Baxter: do you meana shift counter to kill the engine I use a Dyna Shift Minder and Dyna Shift Counter with my1-2 auto trans, and use the Shift Counter to kill at 2-3, 3-4, etc. I have two feet on my air line. I had a problem with my bike not shifting consistently. I replaced shift forks, did everthing I could think of, and one day had my body off and was looking at my lights on my shift counter and noticed they were skipping around and then start back at 1st, which meant itwas killing at the wrong time and not killing when it needed to. I replaced the shift counter and now it works fine. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Y B Normal
    *Lunatic Fringe Racing*

William,

The air line length is only critical when you are using an air activated kill. It lets you mechanically "time" the instant it kills in relation to moving the shift ram. The Dyna shiftCOUNTER gets around this by giving you several differentlengths of time the ignition is killed for after you push the shift button.You can check the counter by starting the bike,pull in the clutch (or take the chain off),and go through the shift sequence. You should hear the engine "miss",each timeafter you push the button. I have seen 2 go bad out of about 15 that I have dealt with,other than that I think they're the best thing since slicks.

P.S. If you need more parts,I have a few left over from when I used to be a complete idiot...

Tim
    Some\'s good,more\'s better,and too much is just right....

Hi Floyd!

William,

OK, even though I am sure that you, and everyone else here, know this already I am going to explain the principal on the airline lengths. In a system with the standard airkill switch, the line to the airkill is supposed to be longer than the line from the solenoid to the ram so that the air can pressurize the ram to load it and THEN kill the ignition to make the shift. As I am sure you already know, these airline lenghts can be quite critical to proper function.

Now, on the Dyna Shift Counter, there is a short delay when the Counter is activated before the kill sequence engages when you make the shift. This is to allow the ram to "load" just like in the airkill setup. Now, if the line from the solenoid is 6 feet long (an exageration) then it is possible that the ram could start to loose pressure before the kill squence engages or completes. For this reason I would suggest you keep the line from the solenoid to the ram as short as possible.

My.02

Scott

It may not be shifting if the tire spins and the kill time is to short. Try running more kill time. Every bike and combo is different.
    Improvise, adapt, over come, succeed!

Sorry guys, I know its a shift "Counter" not a "Minder" just wasn't thinking. My air line is about 18" long but it sounds like you guys think that is alright. This all started when we had a motor that was shifting great, took it out of one chassis and put it in another and it refused to shift, checked all the components, replaced all the air lines and the Shift "Counter" and it started working most of the time.

Had a new tranny built at R&D and it would shift 1-2-3 (auto) but refused to shift into 4th, you could hear it killing the ignition, it was hiccupping over and over but no shift.

Threw the motor back in the old chassis and it shifted perfect. Then back in the new chassis and no shift, sometimes 1-2, sometimes it just sticks in first and never comes out. Are you confused yet Bottom line, we use two chassis for testing and thetransmission shifts perfect in one but sporatically at bestin the other.Theold chassis has an antique air/air system on it.

We have replaced the entireelec/air system on the new bike, including the Counter, but it has not made any difference, and like I said, all the components check out fine, so I am now looking for anything that might help.

Are you using the small or large air solenoid and ram.

Also, check the linkage on the second bike. Maybe not getting full travel in the ram 18" should be OK.

Scott

Both chassis have the same size air cylinder and about 4" long arms on the shift shaft, they are both free and clear with plenty of travel. It has the small air solenoid, I have tried two used ones and a new one, they all worked fine on the bench, we made a small fixture to test how much air pressure they were putting to the air cylinder and all three passed through the samepressure that was in the air tank. Just for reference, we also replaced all the air lines, fittings, handlebar switch, wires, battery and ground. The only thing that has not been replaced is the air cylinder, guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Use the large air solenoid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast