Thread: Straight Cut Gears

Yoshiman

When does it become necessary to junk the standard Suzuki GS helical gears and get some straight cuts in the cases

What sort of horsepower/traction levels make straights essential - I'm guessing a slick and barred bike will put much more of a load through thebox/clutch/crank than a streetbike tyre and no bars

The stock basket will fail with stock horsepower![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] If you stay with the helical gear you better get a billet hub or it will grenade itself. I ran 9.70-9.80 1/4,s(internally stock 1150)for about 100 passes with a helical gearbut I had abillet hub. The billet hub was the only internal mod this engine had, if you are stepping up the horsepower and you plan on using a throw away clutchyou alsoneed straight gears.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Yoshiman
    I'm going to put some straight cuts in, but which are best. Aftermarket Or can I use the straight cuts out of a 2V GS750 with clutch

Normally anytime you exceed 150 HP and/or use a slick it is time for straight cut gears.

You can use the 750 primary gear set, but would still reccomend a billet clutch hub. get the 750 oil gear set too as the 750 primarygear set will lower your oil pressure if used with the 1100 oil gear set.

There are as you know NEW gear sets availble now the only reason the 750 gearset became popular is that they were the only straight cut set availble for the GS Suzukis at the time.

Edited by: Dick Boxell
    Dick (GOT NITRO?) Boxell
    Welcome to the Dark Side....
    (Hell, I used to Race....)

Dick, while they are available through OEM part numbers and salvage yards I believe the PSB guys liked them over the 1100 gears. Maybe GB3 could shed some light on why[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Could anyone please tell me the crank and clutch teeth/ratios for the 1100/ 750's again. I know it's been posted many times before. ( this time I'll write it down like I said before )

1100 is 1.77 750 is 2.15 cant remember the tooth count.

Dick (GOT NITRO?) Boxell
    Welcome to the Dark Side....
    (Hell, I used to Race....)

Thanks Dick!!

mike wagner
    yoshiman i gat a balanced billet 750 ratio fbg clutch basket mint ,lighted and balanced 300.00 plus shipping call or e mail wags3168@aol.com mike