Thread: Shift light blues

RedlineRon

Maybe someone can shed some light on this issue for me:

I upgraded to the Dyna Super Pro 4000 ignition on my dragbike, and ended up losing something I had grown quite dependent on...my Dyna shift light! Or should I say "consistent operation of my Dyna shift light".

From the very first time I flipped the power switch on, the "test" function of the light worked. However, the shift light tended to come on at a lower R.P.M. than what I had selected. I think there were two races that season when the shift light worked properly, and the rest of the time I had to just ignore the shift light and watch the tach.

Of course, I called Dyna. It seemed like the Tech Support guy didn't want to believe there was a fault with the product, but I can understand that they probably receive quite a few calls from people who have done a poor job installing and/or operating the equipment.

Those who know me and my bike can vouch for my meticulous preparation andmaintenance. The installation of the new ignition came after getting the chassis powder-coated and replacing all the wiring. There was a new toggle switch(main power), kill switch, and battery installed.

After talking to a Dyna Tech Support rep, I went against my instincts and purchased another battery. When that didn't fix my problem I went ahead and replaced the Shift Minder. I checked battery voltage and found there was no problem there.

The ignition worked great. I've used Dyna ignitions for almost 20 years withexcellent results, but I was practically pulling my hair out throughout the season because of the shift light failing to work properly. To make matters worse, I was unable to find the receipt and could not send everything back within the warranty period to have it checked out.

This is on a bike that runs 8.70's, so the shift light is a much more accurate way to shift on time...as opposed to watching the tach. Thankfully I didn't have the bike set up for auto-shift, or it would have been short-shifting on every run. Basically, that shift light was coming on at 6,000 or 7,000 R.P.M. while it was set and re-set to come on at 10,000!

Has anyone elese experienced a problem like this If so, isthe MSD or Auto Meter shift light compatible with the Super Pro 4000

When I had the old 4000 ignition, the same shift light worked perfectly. After the "upgrade" to the Super Pro 4000, I eventually took the damn light off the bike and put it in a box out in the shop. I hate to sound like a whiner, but this whole situation has left a really bad taste in my mouth when it comes to purchasing Dyna products in the future.

Please help!

RedlineRon
    Gee...thanks for all the help![img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Technoman64

Do you have the coil primary wires(white and blue)running in the same harness as all of the other low current wires If so you may be getting crosstalk.

How is the condition of your plug wires I am assuming that you are using the correct DW-800 Dyna plug wires also.

If niether of these suggestions help you can give me a call at Schnitz Racing from 4:15-5:00 PM weekdays. Dennis

You said the frame was just powder coated. Is the shift light grounded in the same place as the ignition If its grounded somewhere else maybe the powdercoat is blocking the ground.

RedlineRon
    Thanks, Dennis & Tim. I'll try reaching you by phone to discuss this further.

RedlineRon
    Ooops! Thanks,Dennis & KEN

KYBUSA
    [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

mike wagner
    WHAT IS THE BASE SETTING OF THE SHIFT MINDER MAKE SURE ITS 6000 RPM,HE WAS RIGHT TO CHECK THE BATTERY IF VOLTAGE DROPS YOUR LIGHT IS FIRST TO GO,IF YOU HAVE A DIGITAL GOOD OHM METER OHM WIRES TO LIGHT,ALSO do not CHECK WITH BATTERY CHARGER ON BATTERY ,ALSO CHECK RESISTANCE IN GROUND ,GO FROM BATTERY GROUND TO CHASSIE RECORD MESURMENT THEN MESURE FROM WIRE TO BATTERY AND WIRE TO CHASSIE RESISTACE SHOULD BE CLOSE ,THEN IF YOU CAN I WOULDCHECK RESISTANCE ON POWER WIRE ,KNOW ANY ONE ELSE WHO RUNS A 4000 SP UN PLUG AND TRY ON THERE BIKE IF IT WORKS YOURE BOX IS BAD IF NOT LOOK INTO YOUR WIRING, ALSO LOOK INSIDE LIGHT HOUSING,,