Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delay in a No Box race

Has anyone ever come across someone delaying in a No Box race For the past few seasons at my home track we have come across some controversy over this matter. A racer takes his stock clutch, adjusts it to the point that it grabs at the very last second, takes his air lock up and makes it relieve air as slow as possible so there is a delay at the line. The lock up valve can be adjusted as well in order to variate each launch.

The rules stated NO BOX in division 3 (IHRA), so he was technically not going against the rules. He WAS not going against the rules, the IHRA rules have been revised and this will no longer be permitted. This is not a revision in rules of only division 3; it for every sanctioning NO BOX IHRA track.

Has anyone else encounter this at other tracks Are there any arguments AGAINST the rule revision

NHRA states in the rulebook that a delay device is anything that slows down thedrivers input. It does not matter if it is electric/hydraulic/mechanical, if it causes a delay of the drivers action it is deemed illegal.

Yes, we found a guy from Michigan we knew pretty well running this set up at Grand Bend which is IHRA. Yes it's delay andillegal in a nobox race, he claimed it was legal cuz it wasn't a delay box. He lost that argument.

Art Schafer
    you can argue that it sounds more like extreme clutch management than delay to me. he still has to let go of the clutch lever............wouldn't bother me if i had to race him. but thats just my opinion [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Nope, its an air lock up. He lets go of a button.

Art Schafer

there goes that arguement.................if he's using a button, that's a problem, even for me............buttons are for box bikes..............

later

Quote Originally Posted by Art Schafer

there goes that arguement.................if he's using a button, that's a problem, even for me............buttons are for box bikes..............

later

hhmmmm, i run a slider so i use a button to launch, never have and never will own a delay box either since they are not legal in IHRA.

as to the air lockup guy, sounds to me like he found a good way to use clutch management to adjust his launch, more power to him. I do remeber seeing someone selling buttons with adjustable "depths" so they changed the time it took for the button to fully release, guess going by the rules those would be deemed illegal also

I guess this rule sounds a little weird to me, for that matter with my slider i could change air gap and spring pressures and weights and rpm launch speed and wheelie bar height to change my bikes reaction time (thus my reaction time overall), guess that would be illegal also going by those rulesEdited by: gsxr1216

In the case I mentioned the deal was an air delay which let the rider release the button at the top or whatever bulb he wanted to leave off and the "time release" air exhaust valve acted as his delay box. Someone noticed him letting his thumb off the button before the bottom bulb lit and the sh*t hit the fan.

Jim Bulgey
    The tracks that I run at go by a simple rule for electric over air clutch release systems. It is, "Theclutch must releasein .5 second or less after the electric button is released". Any clutch tuning thru the use of softeror harder springs and clutch engagement points is just that "clutch tuning" and can be done whether you use a button or just thow out a lever.The only advantage thati can perceive from using a button over a lever is consistant clutch releases which allows you to tune the rest of the bike to leave the way you want it to. Just my opinion, of course.

This is a touchy subject. I make adjustments to my bike so that i can more accurately leave off the bottom bulb. Different tracks have different roll outs and therefore I have to adjust. With that said, if they are leaving off the bottom bulb w/o electronic devices then it should be legal. If you find someone that is leaving off the top bulb, the track can take care of this. At least the 2 tracks I run at most can. They randomize the time between the first and second yellow. This does not affect a bottom bulb racer but will make a top bulb racer red or late almost every time. Hope this helps. It is hard enough to win let alone race against cheaters..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast