Page 1 of 934 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School Dragbikes and Riders

There was a thread started about a year or two ago with lots of discussion and photos on dragbikes from back in the day. I enjoyed it and thought I would share some photo's that I've found. Check out this Photo Of Marion Owens and his top fuel HD. I saw this bike at one of the IDBA World Finals years ago. I think these old photo's and dragbikes are the coolest things.

Santa Pod in 1979 Race: Mayday Meeting.
    Here we see John Hobbs in the background trying to give Marion a few pointers.
    Both visiting riders made the final with Owens crossing the center. line in the final.

More on Marion here: http://www.harleydragracing.com/

Edited by: Marc Powe
    NuSouth Drag Racing Leauge, LLC
    www.ndrl.us

Check out this artist�s rendering of a bike that Russ Collins designed back in 1982 (called the Battlestar). I think This picture was featured in Cycle World (Or Motorcycle Mag). Russ designed this bike to Utilize a 2000cc Gold Wing engine. The bike was designed to rewrite the top fuel record books. The bike was designed to house the motor in the rear. The projections on performance was 6.50 e.t. At 220 mph. Check out the Pro Stock 750 V-45. Also see the url's below. The first one will have a copy of the letter from American Honda dated May 6, 1982. The letter was announcing Honda�s support and sponsorship to Russ Collins. The second is a history profile on RC engineering.

http://home.att.net/~fredsmotor/rc_honda.html

http://www.rceng.com/about.htm

Edited by: Marc Powe
    www.ndrl.us

That brings back memories....nice one Marc [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Thanks Gary. I'm gonna try and dig up more. Here is one that I posted on another thread. Brian Johnson's Pro Stock Bike at Santa Pod 1980.

www.ndrl.us

Russ Collins on the Tripple. I remember my dad telling me about this bike when he sawit run in Bowling Green Kentucky somewhere around 1973-74. He went out and bought some RC headers for his CB750 honda shortly after the event.

Russ Collins won the eight-bike Top Fuel Bike eliminator with his triple-engine Honda, tying T.C. Christenson's twin-engined Norton for low e.t. at 8.28. Collins best speed was 170.45 mph. The Gardena, Calif., racer defeated a fouling Bob Mauriello in the final.

"The Hogslayer"

T.C. Cristenson had the ET record for years until the triple Honda of Russ Collins above ran a seven. TC took the record back when Russ crashed the tripple. TC held the record for several years after that.Edited by: Marc Powe
    www.ndrl.us

hihosilver

These pic's and comments are great!! Keep-um comming Guy's

Thanks, love this old school stuff[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

This is a cool one. Rember the V-65 Magna commercial with Jay "Pee Wee" Gleason This bike went 10.92 @ 130+mph in the 1/4.

[img]file:///C:/My%20documents/My%20Pictures/peewees.jpg[/img]

www.ndrl.us

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Powe

Russ Collins on the Tripple. I remember my dad telling me about this bike when he sawit run in Bowling Green Kentucky somewhere around 1973-74. He went out and bought some RC headers for his CB750 honda shortly after the event.

Russ Collins won the eight-bike Top Fuel Bike eliminator with his triple-engine Honda, tying T.C. Christenson's twin-engined Norton for low e.t. at 8.28. Collins best speed was 170.45 mph. The Gardena, Calif., racer defeated a fouling Bob Mauriello in the final.

A mate of mine has a full colour poster of Russ Collin's triple engined Honda. I'll try and give him a hurry up and see if he can get a snapshot of it, off to me to post here.

Hey Marc,

wasn't Brian Johnson running in the 8.20-40's back then, as I used to have an ol' dragracing rag with him doing a huge static burnout, stating his awesome low 8Pro Stocker....!

Cheers, Garry

Gary,

That photo was taken in 1980. So, that sounds way to fast for that year. Here in the states I believe the Pro Stock bikes were still in the low 9 second quarter mile range. Without looking into my old IDBA papers I would guess that the numbers would range anywhere from 9.20's to maybe a high 8.90 (I'm going blank to what year the first 8 second was produced in Pro Stock). In the states they didn't get into the 8.40's and qucker until late 84-86. This is just off the top of my head. Maybe Randy "Racin" Mason will jump in and let me know if I'm pretty close. Speaking of......Randy posted this pic earlier this year on a thread. He was fast and his bike was clean. See Below....Randy "Racin" Mason.

[img]file:///C:/My%20documents/My%20Pictures/cycle%20pics/R-Mason.jpg[/img]Edited by: Marc Powe
    www.ndrl.us

Page 1 of 934 1231151101501 ... LastLast