Page 648 of 934 FirstFirst ... 148548598638646647648649650658698748 ... LastLast
Results 6,471 to 6,480 of 9338

Thread: Old School Dragbikes and Riders

Another oldie from me, a blown Kawasaki 1980 ish!
    Photographed at Long Marston Raceway

Might have been for motorcycle sport quarterly, but I will encourage you by saying that I deep six nothing intentionally and there is about a 75% chance they do. I think I remember the headlines for the story being done with hand lettering and with at least one shot from dead above you.
    TLoughlin Jr.

Thanks for the hopeful word! I'm completely certain it was Dragebike Magazine. I recall the hand lettering for the banner. I also recall the front page: it was a dual reverse image of TC or some top fueler of the day. It was made to look like he was racing off the page and right into your lap! Pretty cool for the day!

Butch Glen Burnie Md
    Yeah I do remember the hydrogen peroxide bike.. Their was a hydrogen peroxide Go-Cart as well. I last saw that about 78-79 in Bowie Md at aguys shop leaning against the wall.

Im like you about the parties at Larry's place but can almost recall the Maxwell House "coffee" cans over the workbench...
    The last I knew of the single fuel ride a guy in Ocala Fl had it and was trying to exhibit it at some local events around that area. I last saw it run about 1998 at a 100 yard run in the parking lot at Hard Rock motorsports in Fl.. The old gal sounded strong but the rider had little experience at keeping it straight on the dirt... Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    Thanks ! Back before I took on the responsibility for the racing series, I could really let it fly in experimenting with the Mag. We had some superior artwok by nationally known commercial artists like Hank Godlewski, art instruction director here at Mohawk Valley Community College, who was the roommate of Vaughn Bode the artist who did the Cheech Wizard cartoons in the 60's and 70's...I believe for Mad Magazine.
    That machine was a BMod Kawasaki at Cincinnati
    It sure did ramp up the classification on that thing...don't worry about the misclassification...the art was designed to max the impact of the launch...
    machines coming at you have urgency and drama...that's why I almost never used going away shots of races...in the vulgar language of phortography (between one another) we call those "ass shots" and subtract from the drama.
    If I could have done it and not died in the first event of doing it...and if I could have gotten a shot of the number plate I would have stood in the middle of the track to get the oncoming drama .
    I really want to find a photo of myself standing on the second concrete "christmas tree" stand at BG where I made a lot of photos before being shooed off it for ....well, being , too prominent.
    These photos are most likely in there.
    What do you have now...the magazine itself?
    Are you working from memory or looking at it.?

Tom

Tom Loughlin Jr.

Might have been for motorcycle sport quarterly, but I will encourage you by saying that I deep six nothing intentionally and there is about a 75% chance they do. I think I remember the headlines for the story being done with hand lettering and with at least one shot from dead above you.
    TLoughlin Jr.

Thanks for the hopeful word! I'm completely certain it was Dragebike Magazine. I recall the hand lettering for the banner. I also recall the front page: it was a dual reverse image of TC or some top fueler of the day. It was made to look like he was racing off the page and right into your lap! Pretty cool for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    Another oldie from me, a blown Kawasaki 1980 ish!
    Photographed at Long Marston Raceway

Sure and begorrah, it's Long Marston but.. The background, except that it is level, is reminiscent of Union Grove on the right hand side in the staging lanes before the ramp up to the line.
    Tom Loughlin Jr.

STYLE !!!
    This fella took some time putting together his visuals.
    Every now and then, one scooter or scooter/rider combo grabs your attention, the more accustomed to excellence you become, the harder it is to rivet your attention..I guess that's called being jaded. Well...this act is a grabber. I am probably the most jaded motorcycle observer of them all.. The only one I can come up with right now...to occupy my noggin is Kevin Cleary's Hell's Angels of Cleveland shovelhead pro dragster (i pushrod engine carb nitro )
    I was so clean, I think I could find more dirt on a scalpel in the autoclave cooling bins at Cleveland Clinic. Those guys were dirt's Public Enemy #1.
    Some of these machines are just rolling prayers of thanks to God for His gift to us of engineering/construction ability and thumbs.
    Tom Loughlin Jr.

What do you have now...the magazine itself?
    Are you working from memory or looking at it.?

Tom

I'm working from memory. I was pretty young then and to get ANY exposure at all was a real ego booster; so I DEVOURED that old rag! Almost literally! It's permanently forged in my memory chip! Getting that issue was almost as thrilling as cutting my first 9!

I probably still have it in the bowels of buried memoralbilia around here somewhere. You even sent me a couple of black and whites from BG along with the complimentary issue. I know I never threw it away. I'll rummage around for it one of these days and see what I come up with. I found some old time-cards recently from when I cut my first 12 on my street Sporty back in 1970. Ah.., those were the days!!

Quote Originally Posted by IvanS

Quote Originally Posted by 60ft
    The T/F results for the UEM Championship opening round (on DB.com's Home page) at Santa Pod, UK, note that the runner-up (to Ian King) entry of Rene van den Berg is an old-school bike with some history. Anyone with an background on this beauty? (photo courtesy kingracing.uk; thanks and congrats on your victory, Ian!):

its the ex-Orange Crush that Brian Johnson imported into the UK in the early 80s... and the photo isn't courtesy of His Royal Highness [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
    STYLE !!!
    This fella took some time putting together his visuals.
    Every
    now and then, one scooter or scooter/rider combo grabs your attention,
    the more accustomed to excellence you become, the harder it is to rivet
    your attention..I guess that's called being jaded. Well...this act is a
    grabber. I am probably the most jaded motorcycle observer of them
    all.. The only one I can come up with right now...to occupy my noggin
    is Kevin Cleary's Hell's Angels of Cleveland shovelhead pro dragster (i
    pushrod engine carb nitro )
    I was so clean, I think I could find
    more dirt on a scalpel in the autoclave cooling bins at Cleveland
    Clinic. Those guys were dirt's Public Enemy #1.
    Some of
    these machines are just rolling prayers of thanks to God for His gift
    to us of engineering/construction ability and thumbs.
    Tom Loughlin Jr.

WOW! I love this stuff! Well, it's not a fueler or all that fast, but it's still running. Check out my homepage at www.KellerRacing.net. It's a '71 engine in a '63 frame, Morgo 750 kit. Got a bunch of ole vintage bits and pieces I'm dying to try out. Haven't been out yet this year but I should be ready in about a month. Had get rid of my pick-up and now have a Pontiac Sunfire, looking for lite, single rail trailer to do the towing. Anyone else out there still running old bikes????
    Keller Racing
    \"Performance by Design\"
    www.KellerRacing.net
    Keller_Racing@netscape.com

Say, if you want to get to the track REALLY fast, here's what you could do to that Sunfire:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...ick_193201.htm