Thread: Oil Pressure out of the turbo

coyote

I"m just wondering how much pressure I can expect to have coming out of the turbo. I'm currently feeding it at about 40-45 psi, but am just wondering what will be coming out of the bottom. I'm thinking about running a check valve and vacuum relief valve. I"m going to run a SHURflo scavenge pump to pull the oil back to the external tank, but I want to make sure that I don't creat a vacuum in the line, drying out the bearing on the turbo, hence the vacuum relief valve which will let air into the line. The SHURflo pump can apparently run dry too.

Any suggestions

Thanks,

-Coyote

I wouldn´t put any restriction into the return line nor connect a scavenge pump directly to it.You´re using an external oiling arrangement for the tc, right If you can´t position the external tank low enough to function as both: catch tank AND delivery tank, than plumb the scavenge pump -that wouldn´t be needed otherways- tothe catch tank to return the oil to the external oil tank.

As I´m sticking with the Rajays: 40/45psi - seems a lot of pressure..

... Coyote, once the oil passes the turbo bearing(s) it should be allowed to free fall down to the sump. Or if you have to do the scavenge deal, you have to create a mini sump or the hose/tubing size to act as a sump.

coyote
    Yeah, the turbo is a new Garrett, and it sits really low in the front of the frame. The oil resevoir is a located under the seat, and is about 7" higher that the turbo. Currently it is set up for 5/8" hose. I thought that if I had a vacuum relief vales in the line, i wouldn't run the risk of creating a vacuum at the turbo bearing.

... Coyote, that will work. A slight vacuum should not hurt. I probably would worry that the relief valve(s) would need to be filtered (air side) on a street bike.