Thread: Shifting trouble

Ok....carb situation in hand....slider situation in hand....now to some problems with my shifter. I have a Schnitz Pro-Series 11 box(new), electric over air shift system. My problem is that I can't get it to shift in the auto mode or even with the thumb switch on the bars. Had to shift the old fashion way...with my foot all day. Don't have to tell you what that does to the old e.t.. It's very possible I have something wired wrong but I don't think so. Give me some idesa as to why this bike will not shift out of first and any other gear as far as that goes. Trans. is new, forks are straight, Schnitz box is new and checked out. It will shift ok manually so that tells me it's in my electric system or one of the components but no clue where or how to check. Wiring is not my forte but I do think I have it right, so any idea what may cause this The system was on the bike when I bought it and I changed the box to the Pro-Series from a Pro-Et box and the wiring was different , of course, I was having problems before, so any ideas would be appreciated. What can I check, how, and/or what do I look for. It's hell being new to all this gimicktry but that's the price of fame, I suppose, huh Help!

YOU NEED TO TALK TO DENNIS AT SNITZ. HE WILL PUT YOU ON THE RIGHT PATH.GOOD LUCK.

first thing is does the solnoid click when you push the buttonif not most just ground on wire put 12 volt to the other one it should click if not there is the problem and you can isolate it from there i have had new ones that were bad.I have used schnitz boxes from the first day they were out and have wired up lots of them the auto shift usually works well they sell a test box for them that makes the box think the motor is running and you can test all the components it works great.good luck.

Maybe a dumb question. Are you sure box is in correct shift mode Make sure it is not set for full auto and is killing the motor. Like I said, maybe a dumb question or maybe I missed something but you never know.

I checked and double checked to be sure the box is in the right mode. That's not the problem. I will have to check the button to be sure it is working correctly. Seems it wasn't working at all, so maybe the problem lies there. I did find the shift arm on the lever was loose(), but not sure if it was moving on the spline or not. Don't think it was loose enough for that, but something else to check!!! Will run a few tests and see where things fall. Too COLD to worry about it now, but as soon as I get the shop up and running, these will be at the top of the list. Thanks guys for the help and if I can't figure it out, I'll be back.

Put it on a stand , block the rear wheel off the ground and go thru the gears with no load(bike running at idle), make sure it is physically shifting , if it is working there go to next step , refill with air , now go thru the gears easy with a little load on the rear wheel by depressing the rear bake and a little throttle and see if it will shift , if not then there is no kill.....Now you know where to look .....

Works for me .

I dont think it could have beem slipping on the shaft or you wouldnt have been able to shift it manually either ......

woody1453
    I had the same problem once, i had the bike set up with nitrous but was running a few passes without the juice so i didn't turn on the activation switch. This made the box think that the throttle was never at WOT because the switch (activation)between the throttle switch and box was not on.

I was shifting manually with my foot and was thinking that with that pressure it may not have slipped but with the air cylinder pushing, there may have been enough pressure(and fast enough jerk), that maybe it couldn't hold it. I am going to block rear wheel up and disconnect the cylinder from the tranny shaft and see if the system is shifting like it should. I was arming the system, made sure of that, but thought maybe the way I had it wired, the 12 volt input to the auto-shift may have been wired in such a way as to activate it on it's own before I threw the switch(current was activating through a round-about route) that I wasn't aware of, although I really don't think that is the problem. I thought I was hearing it shift through the lower gears but not 4th and 5th(). Hitting the button didn't work, so not sure if it had run through the gears(had RPM shift point set low to test) or if it just wasnt working. Will have to run it through a few tests like you guys suggested til I find the problem. Don't know about you, but I hate it when a machine makes me look stupid, so I will find the problem some how.

You should be able to check the manual button in the Diagnostics mode. Bike doesn't need to be running. Also when bike wasn't shifting could you tell if it was killing the motor If no kill was the shift lever being activated Hard to tell I know when on the bike. As Lonnie said, check to see if you have kill. You can also put a lot of kill in it just to make it easier to tell. Just some more ideas. Good Luck.[img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]