Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert dirt bikes

ikbok
    does anybody have any info and\or sites on making drag bikes out of Yamaha YZF/WRF 400/426 or 450 dirt bikes

I would think you would change the wheels to street/roadrace wheels so you could use street/roadrace tires, like the Supermoto bikes.

You would need to add a tail light. That's mandatory at most tracks so you can be seen after dark. I would think you would also have to do some work to lower the bike so it won't try to wheelie, but that might be the most difficult part because there will be no lowering links for the shock available. You would have to fabricate something yourself, or get a machinist's help. A lowering strap might work on the front, but not sure how it would mount if you don't have 2 mounting locations for front brake calipers.

ikbok

I was more interested in engine type work as I will be fully modifying or replacing the frame with wheelie bars, lowering, raking etc. I was wondering ig anybody has much experience with big bore/ stroker kits and nitrous etc.

thanks

Well, you weren't too specific in your first post.......

ikbok
    sorry...

Someone used to run a KX500 Kawasaki in IHRA a number of years back, can't remember his name but he seemed to do pretty good.

I think the bike ran in the 11's or 10's.

When I first started drag racing in the mid 70's I used a Yamaha YZ125as a base, changed the wheels and tires, and the gearing, lowered it down, Noguchi kit, and ran a best of 14.89 (J/A record was 15.29 at the time).

Was fun, nothing ever broke, and I wasn't broke when I finished with it.

A tad bit slowwwwww though.
    Life is too short, just do it!

Someone used to run a KX500 Kawasaki in IHRA <<

Oops, sorry, make that IDBA, not IHRA.

BTW, if anyone raced at Leicester N.Y. back then, you may remember me and the bike. Bikes were running against the IDBA records back then at Leicester, and I was the only bike that could run near or under the record consistently which promptly got the others to call for a breakout rule (which was instituted).

I never went back after because it was so hard to get the bike to be anything near consistent.
    Life is too short, just do it!

Steve Schott
    I work at a yamaha dealership and we usually bring up what a good dragbike engine one of the new 450 four strokes would be after test riding one,simple lightweight and extremely quick(for a four stroke single) My personal opinion is they are built well enough to survive a small amount of nitrous on a regular basis and should prove to be very reliable,have you seen what those dirt bike guys do to themshouldlast a long time in a dragbike providing the launch doesnt kill the tranny,cant tell you how that will work out but I dont think I,d throw the clutch away off the line with good traction,probably better to slide it a bit for e.t. and reliability.Good luck!

My first "dragbike" was my 1990 KX 500, I was recouping from a broken Collarbone (imagine that) and after surgery to put in a plate and screws in they said I would be out of Motocross for 3 months, so I replaced the rear tire with a dirt track tire and put onthe smallest rear sprocketI could buy, still had all the suspension, fenders etc. That bad boy would run 12 flat at 102mph, Was kinda funny when I would clean it out before going into the water box, smoke out the poor guy in line behind me.

I remember reading in a cycle magazineabout a CR500 project.This was probably 12 - 15 years ago, they lowered the bike and put a slick on it and with the bone stock engineit ran 10.80 at the strip.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast