Thread: help with bike

newdragger
    i just got a 77 kz900,iwas wondering if i could get away with running a slick, 2-step,and wheelie bar without breaking the trans or crank,iam new to racing last year was my first year.money is tight,ran a xj 550 last year with air shifter and shift light made a few people mad trying to catch my 13.90 pea shooter.would appreciate any info,thank you

if the crank is not welded you are just asking for a spun crank with a slick
    <font color=orange>Of cource you know this means WAR</font>

Piss on the people that got mad b/c of your slow bike. If they are mad, then you have an advantage. I imagine you just want to go faster anyway. btw, my bike runs low 13s.

newdragger
    thanks ken looks like i will have to spend some money on a big pin crank and get it welded,will the trans be ok with the motor still in stock form

Newdragger,

What size slick are you going to run If you're going to run the smaller bike tire(5-5.5 inch), I would think you could get away with the stock tranny.One friend of mine runs the smaller tire on a stock trans kz650, bored to 720, and is dead reliable.If you are going to run the larger bike tire(7 inch), a billet 2nd gear wouldn't be a bad idea, though I know guys who do run a stock tranny with this tire.Of course, the amount of power your engine hasshould also be considered. Youdo not need the large pin crankunless you are going to run a car tire.

I run a 7" tire 1075, w/nitrous inS/C. I have the small pin crank, billet second gear setand have had no breakage in 3 years. Iwouldget the crank checked, trued, and welded.

Steve Schott
    Newdragger,my brother years ago ran a 900 with a stock motor, sidewinder,slick,wheelie bars,dyna,and re-jet on the carbs.He foot shifted with an ignition kill button on the bars(he just put pressure on the shifter at full throttle a nd held the pressure till he was ready to shift and then pushed the button)This combo stayed together and saw many eighth mile passes.The important part was he slipped the clutch out of the hole and shifted at 9000,thats what will keep the crank alive,if you throw away the clutch out of the hole with a slick you are asking for trouble with the crank.The trans never hiccuped because he was controling the kill time with his finger,yesit was a long kill but he could tell with his foot when the tranny had shifted so it never had a chance to round the dogs,if it hung up it just took longer to make the shift.The bike was not fast 7.40's in the eighth mile but was actually very consistent.If your circumstances allow I would definitely have the crank welded and the trans backcut,but if you leave it stock and its in good condition this will work,just dont dump the clutch!!!!!!!!!!!