After cleaning I checked all my parts and I noticed that the heat
    shield had warped enough to see it. Not a big deal as it looks
    like it is going to be an easy part to get. But for the life of
    me I have no idea how this would happen. That shield is far away
    from the turbin wheel and is quite thick. To top it off it is
    cast not stamped. Even if the spring took a set on one side I
    would not think this would happen.

Has anyone else seen this Any idea of the cause

Anything is possible with a turbo..............excessive heat etc............age

MarcEdited by: Marc Powe
    NuSouth Drag Racing Leauge, LLC
    www.ndrl.us

At least this doesn´t seem to be an uncommon problem as some suppliers of (Mr.Turbo) kits recommended the use of a "billet heat shield" (#T3900 027B, approx. twice the price of the cast one) --- for boost pressure 15+ PSI or as a "good insurance"...

geek
    At least it sounds like a common problem. It was the original shield.

I don't understand why the billet would be better as the cast has a
    melting point around 2200F and the aluminum would be around
    1200F. You would think the aluminum would be worse. I
    could see getting exhaust temps close to that without too much
    problem.

Oh well, a new cast one is on order.

tomcat

Quote Originally Posted by geek
    After cleaning I checked all my parts and I noticed that the heat shield had warped enough to see it. Not a big deal as it looks like it is going to be an easy part to get. But for the life of me I have no idea how this would happen. That shield is far away from the turbin wheel and is quite thick. To top it off it is cast not stamped. Even if the spring took a set on one side I would not think this would happen.

Has anyone else seen this Any idea of the cause

is the shield that goes on the exhaust or are you talking about a sheild that goes on the turbo itself

marc oliver

High egts cause this problem you are referring too. Also, the heat sheild is directly behind the turbine wheel. This is a common problem with draw-thru set ups as they have excessive bends in the exhuastbefore the turbo therefore causing excessive pressure thus causing excessive heat or high egts (exhaust gas temperatures). Check with Marc Powe (turboworks) and see if they have a one piece heatsheild available. They are suitable for your application. Hope this helps.

MOEdited by: marc oliver

hmm - are these shields madeof aluminium I wouldn´t trust this, too. I wasn´t aware that "billet" necessarily meant machined from a block of aluminium...

Marc, I can´t follow your argumentation how the tight bend before the turbine causes more heat and pressure compared to a (say) straight feed. I´d also say the EGT is a product of a/f-ratio, ignition retard and the exhaust pipe´s ability to keep the heat within rather than it´s shape.

Anyways - Best wishes for 2005.

Siggi

geek

Quote Originally Posted by siggi_miller
    I wasn´t aware that "billet" necessarily meant machined from a block of aluminium...
    Good point, I just assumed.

Marc, could you please provide some details on the aftermarket part mentioned

the heat shields that terry sells are stainless steel.
    tommy brounkowski

Yes, that is correct. The heat sheilds are stainless steel. I believe Mr. Oliver was just trying to give examples of why and what could cause the heat sheild to warp. I stated in the begining of the thread the excessive or long term heat will contribute to turbo parts failure. Being that Oliver has ran gas turbo's, gas/nos turbo's and now alky............the gas turbo's produce much more heat at high boost levels and especially when you have your tune-up set for maximum hp on gas. The initial question was why would the heat sheild be warped even though it was better than the two piece heatsheild. Answer......heat. and more heat! Turbo companies build billet backing plates that are stronger than the stock cast ones however this is the part that is located behind the compressor wheel not the turbine shaft/wheel.

Marc Oliver,

I want some of that jumbo gulf shrimp ready for me when I come by today.............I know you got some ready........Edited by: Marc Powe
    NuSouth Drag Racing Leauge, LLC
    www.ndrl.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast