Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinning 2nd gear??

Has anybody ran into this problem on a GS1100 or 1150. The 2nd gear on the input shaft startsspinning around 3K, all other gears work great (no spinning) and the clutch is good.

Is there away to fix it since it's a pressed on gear

ps this is not my bike just a fellow guy with a problem on his 1150

Thanks

Jake
    5.70@122

Yes bud, you have to get second gear pinned. GS boxes are good for very low 8's. I had a turbo suzuki running 8.1's @ 166+and second gearpinning was the only mod to the box, apart from an extra spring on the shift drum.

They are bullet proof virtually to 8.0's anything below and I reckon they would still hold up. If the job is done properly, you will not have a problem with the gearbox.

I know of people shearing the pin, but replace pin and it is as right as rain to go again.

Cheers Garry
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Greig Frankham
    Gavin Spann was running 7.20's on stock trans...they would crack, bit so would the OE ones apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Greig Frankham
    Gavin Spann was running 7.20's on stock trans...they would crack, bit so would the OE ones apparently

I never knew that Greig, as I honestly thoughtthe Spannermanhadan aftermarket box in his nitrous bike. That bike certainly put the cat amongst the pidgeonsin Group 1, in it's day. [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]Edited by: G W Sprake 2nd

It sounds like the press fit may not have been correct at assembly. If the shaft is not ruined, I have a fix for it. I have made billet 2nd inputs for the gs trans. I keep them on the shelf @ .010" undersize and size to fit for shafts that are worn or undersized. Installed with the properintrerference fit it should begood for at least 8.20's.

Greig Frankham

Yeah Joe was doing the boxes for him. He had cracked the aftermarket ones, and was putting stock ones in with the ratcheting deal.

they were cracking too...I was surprised when Joe told me too.

... Got to put a car story in here. I know how some of you guys just love it when I do. So anyhow thirty years ago I am working on this Top Fuel car and as we start working on it between rounds I notice the air pressure line has shook itself off the top of the Lenco shifter. So I am wondering how we won and the engine did not blow up, because a Lenco, without the air pressure, with this type of shifter, is in low gear.
    ... As I am trying to take the Lenco apart it's giving me fits. The owner was using bronze faced discs in place of the fibers. This was actually Delco part number DC~3 (can't forget that) out of a ninteen fifteies Hydramatic. So what happened was that the pressure stayed on long enough to make the shift to high gear and the as the line came off and the Lenco started to go back in to low gear the bronze discs furnaced brazed temselves to the steels and it stayed in high gear and we won the round and the next (the final). I'd gladly trade this lucky day for a very unlucky day this driver had years later.

The guy I had build my trans tried and experiment with second gear. He pressed it into place and then welded it to the shaft. On a recent teardown I noticed that the weld was broken all the way around, but I had not noticed any slipping. He said that he had allways suspected that after a 2nd gear was pressed on that it actually slipped until the inside of the gear "seized" to the shaft. After that it didnt slip anymore as long as the tolerance was correct to begin with.

Mine doesnt slip(that I notice)and its not pinned. Its a billet gear and shaft on a seven second bike.

If it starts slipping next week I am holding you guys responsible for bringing the subject up. My bike is a hypocondriac and it gets every affliction that it hears about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasthouse
    My bike is a hypocondriac and it gets every affliction that it hears about.<<<<<
    [img]uploads/GWSprake2nd/DEZ_2bitchslap1.gif[/img]

Sorry matey, couldn't help myself, as I thought your bike might need this as well.

usually the welds do not hold up and after it rotates about 1/2 a turn or so it friction welds itself together and that's it! It's all one piece.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast