Thread: Darg Racing Pointers?

Texas HD

Question: what is strapped or unstrapped

Question: what would be a stout RPM baseline for a good launch

My HD idles at 1K, and anything about 2000 I get wheelies....

kawtippn

A bike is strapped when there is a tie down on the front forks pulling all the travel out of the front shocks.You can get this strap from www.shnitzracing.com .It's just like a tie down you use to hold your bike on a trailer but they have brackets to mount on your brake calibers instead of hooks.This helps the front end stay down.

Your launch depends on alot of things.How much does the bike weightWhat is your approximate power to the wheelAre you using a slick or a street tireHow long is the bikeAre you using wheely barsAnd what is your red lineAlot of it depends on what is consistant.If it launches good at 5000 then you have a baseline.You need an RPM limiter so you can launch off the same RPM every time.You have a harley so your launch speed will be lower than a Jap bike because of the useable torque a Harley makes.Launching will ultimately be determined by you.But my buddy leaves at 4250.

Texas HD

Ok....gotcha on the tie down. The Bike itself weighs a little over 600, add me to it and we are talking 850. I have 103 RWTQ as for the over length is right at 90" (7.5")

I have a Pingle electric shift and a Dyna shift light, both I can set hpwever Iwant. According to my Dyno read outs, I make Max TQ at around 4500 rpm and max HP at 6200 rpm, I have my shift light set for 5350 rpms and my Pingle shifter (ignition kill ) set at 84ms.

My issue is with the wheelies......don't like'em. don't want 'em.

Thanks for the advice

Texas HD

Oh, on the straps....I went to that web site www.shnitzracing.combut could not find straps/tie downs on that page....

Thanks Again

kawtippn

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...prodid=4686177 &showprevnext=1

that link will take you right to the straps.I would launch right under your maximum torque.You also need the tie down strap.To totaly eliminate wheels you need to slam the bike.

without bars you need to manage youre clutch thats the name of the game,or go to the next step,lock up or slider clutch,or see mps.com get on air clutch ,then you can control the speed of the lever,let it slip it for you all you do is release the button
    if your not growing your dying

The wheelie bars are good for .2. Put them on if you can. Launch high, shift just before the red line but don't run into the rev limit, run through the traps with your shift light coming on. If you haven't shed the belt yet, do so because it makes gearing changes possible.
    Still Learning

Texas HD

Quick...thanks..

Oh BTW...That should have been "Drag" I sometimes fat finger my keyboard.

As for chain versus belt, I do know that the more power the more I need the chain.

I have gotten some great help....fork strapping......air clutch, back gears....and then how to launch....all great info...

thanks to all