Thread: S&S Dual Throat Carb

u1rl

I found an S&S carb for my brother's 76 shovel sportster; it was way too cool to pass up. Appears to be complete and all original. It's a dual throat monstrosity including the velocity stacks. I need to find a rebuild kit including butterflies. The carb is stamped with the following numbers:
    S&S 247
    E1443
    The manifold is stamped with 2T24.

Anyone know anything about these carbs He's broke and I'm trying to make his week. This is the finishing touch to a bike he's been building for 5 years.

I have only seen a couple of those, never tried one. Maybe try calling S&S. What is wrong with the butterflys or are they missing Sometimes FOGHOLLOW has weird stuff still hanging around in the back.

u1rl

The butterflies appeared to be warped; not sealing at full close. I pulled it apart and found them installed backward. The carb is installed on a 76 ironhead and works great. Need to find air bleeds for it. They are the tube style that screw in from the top.

Edited by: Wade Clark

Ran one for years on my old Shovelhead, the only problem used be that the pump rocker shaft used to seize up(under the bowl you will see a flat plate ,inside is the arm or whatever you want to call it)it was a bitch to start until i lubed it up and got the pump to work again, apart from that it was a great carb.
    Larry Hargreave
    Brisbane
    Australia

u1rl
    The carb works great. My brother's been running it for a few weeks. I called S&S for information about jets. They have a stock that may be available for sale. I need to call them back this week to find out.

TANO71XLH

DON'T WANT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE BUT THE DUAL THROAT SS LOOKS MEAN BUT THATS ABOUT IT,THE PROBLEM IS THE TWO INTAKES NARROW DOWN TOO MUNCH WHEN ENTERING THE MANIFOLD THIS SCREWS UP ANY KIND OF HEAD WORK THE MOTOR HAS.GO WITH A 42MM MIKUNI A LITTLE HARD TO JET AND A LITTLE HIGH IN PRICE BUT IT WILL FEEL LIKE YOUR RIDING ANOTHER BIKE THE THROTTLE RESPONSE IS GREAT HAVE ONE ON A 71 STROKSTER FEELS LIKE MY ARMS ARE BEING RIPPED OUT A LOT OF FUN TO RIDE,BUT WHEN ITS TIME TO GET SERIOUS I GET ON RICEROCKET.

nitroroat

I respectfully dissagree on performance. the DT's flow about the same air as a D carb, but were brought out in an era of shovelheads and good weed. anyone that could tune a weber 40 dual throat could make a S&S DT sing. i think the biggest problem with them is the reversion wave gets at the air bleeds and probably all the jetsso they dont throttle clean the full range, especially on a small motor. I HAVEseen flow numbers on a big motorat high lift (= high rpm) and these carbs make you want to learn the path to the light of tuning one.

arlieEdited by: Wade Clark

nitroroat

oh yeh, window the intake manifold between manifild throats per s&s instructions, about the same area as your intake valve sise.....

Edited by: Wade Clark