Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: copper head gaskets

Can you reuse a copper head gasket on a 1135cc 10.25:1 KzIs it better to use copper or reg
    76kZ frame.raked 1.5*, & gusset work,1200CC.RS34 carbs,ported,1.5mm.over intakes, ,425cams,pods,kerker,backcut trany, billet 2nd,Dyna 2000,coils,ZRX12 rear end,and seat,170 tire,zx9front end.Ont.Can.

Anneal it ....Heat and Chill...Put good Studs in the motor...

JD

I heated it with a propane torch then cooled it in water.Now its leaking oilShould I redo it.Or should I just order a new one.
    76kZ frame.raked 1.5*, & gusset work,1200CC.RS34 carbs,ported,1.5mm.over intakes, ,425cams,pods,kerker,backcut trany, billet 2nd,Dyna 2000,coils,ZRX12 rear end,and seat,170 tire,zx9front end.Ont.Can.

What did you touque the head to Did youuse any sealer Like JD said, are you using good studs Are the head and block flat How did you check them

Scott

I don't think Propane is hot enough...It must be like Putty soft..

JD

I have reused them for years, had then engine apart 10-20 times and re-used them. No anneal, I think it's like many other things many ways to get to the same result.

To anneal 2024 Aluminum, which has the highest amout of copper for the Aluminums( If I remember correctly) you need to have a furnace temp of 775 degrees (+/-) 25 degrees put your part in and drop temp 50 degrees every hour until you are below 500 degrees and then air cool, never put a fan on it or accelerate cooling.

If you were to partial anneal 2024 Aluminum it's 650 degrees for 30 minutes and then air cool. I don't know the exact time and temps for copper but if you don't get to the proper temp for the required time you are pissing in the wind.

Keep this in mind, I don't think Cometic anneals the gaskets after cutting them. I just saw two of the cometic people at IMTS in Chicago a few weeks ago and I know they have one waterjet and 2-3 lasers. The laser would be putting quite a bit of heat in the gasket if they are using it. I'm just saying that the new gasket you get probably isn't annealed.

To tell you the truth, when your engine heats up and slowly cools down is probably as close as most people would get to actually annealing a gasket.

Not trying to be a know it all, just sharing some of what I have learned from the Aircraft Industry.

Mitch

mitch is right about the slow cool times for alum. the average joe on the street probably won't have access to a furnace or heat source to sustain and maintain sufficient heat to properly anneal aluminum or copper. copper requires almost 800 deg. then a quench in water to anneal. most motors do not have o-ringed blocks. so annealing is a moot point. and if o-ringed, take the time to realign to the grooves and you should be good to go. note, copper head gaskets take additional torque to properly seal (oil leaks). invest in a good set of studs when you buy your next copperor aluminum gasket.

I have heavy studs.45lbs i think.No gasket sealer though.What sealer is bestI would amagin they would have decked the barrels when there installed the new sleevse. not shure about the head,but Lietner and bush built it for one of there guys,then I bought it and redid the head with bigger vales and more porting for bigger carbs. Edited by: mark1135cc

I use Gasgacinch.

Mitch

check in the archives, I beleive that there is a thread on annealing gaskets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast