Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crank welding z1000j.

want to weld crank for low buck motor i'm building. was just going to weld big end pins as i can't get to main bearing pins without pulling crankshaft apart. motor will be aprox 130hp. bike runs 8" car tyre with wheelie bars and lockup clutch. was wondering if this was enough to stop crank twisting at launch.

regards ben
    moriwaki monster

honestly , the end pins need welding the least
    street cars kill bike racers

thanks for the response, what do you mean by the end pins. remember i'm australian, might get a bit lost in translation.

cheers ben
    moriwaki monster

crankshaft don't twist...they jump up and down and move around and break...but they don't twist...If you don't rev it past 10,000 it will work with no modification...

JD

thanks gatormaker, i take it from that name you must be from down florida way. was there in 2000 going to cape kennedy and ther were all these alligators sunning themselves on the side of the road. blew me out. what do you mean by they won't twist. from what i've been told launching a bike with an 8" car tyre will load up the crank to much and trash it. i won't be revving this motor over 10 000 rpm. any help would be appreciated as i'm new to drag racing.

regards ben
    moriwaki monster

You were in my Back Yard....I watch the Shuttle, and all rockets launch from across the Indian River Lagoon...

If you launch at 6-8 thou. RPM with a lock-up I don't think you will twist ...If you pull the motor down from 10,000 to 2000 at the drop of the clutch you might have a problem...With an 8in. tire I don,t think that will happen...

JD

Have seen a lot of twisted Kaw cranks. If it is a racebike, you
    should have Stan Gardner at GRC do a crank for you.

Jay
    Home of the world\'s fastest motorcycle racing products.
    APE Race Parts

Become a TEAM APE sponsored racer Team APE

Cylinder Heads
    Crankshafts
    Trac King Clutches

When a crankshaft is put together correctly it will go to 150 H/P with no problem....when it is disassembled and reassembled it now doesn't have the correct interference fit and it will twist if not welded...

99% of all crank problems is CASES.......

JD

hi jd, intresting point, i'm going to try this crank not welded, wil let you know how i go. it's never been apart. what problems could you have with the cases and any remedys for them. should have the motor ready in about 4 weeks and then go for a skid.

regards ben

moriwaki monster

Remedy 101--JD welds up the stock cases with unobtainium rods--then remachines them to look like this--[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]see the nice rows of welding beads on top[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]Edited by: funny1
    I can't get my horse to wake up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast