Thread: Iron Head Sporty

Frankenstien

Hey All'

In my local newspaper there is an 84 Iron Head Sportster for sale. It is in great condition and the price is cheap. Only one problem,the owner claims the bike was checked out by a mechanic and is said to have a broken pinion shaft. Now I have been a M/C mechanic for many years and have built more than a few sporty engines however, I have not ever had one come in with the pinion shaft broken.

Now I would imagine that in addition to the shaft it will probably have some bent valves,etc. My real big concern is the engine cases and flywheels. But If any off you have seen what else could happen or your experiences on what happens when the shaft breaks could you guys post it up here I considerd buying this bike,fixing it and maybe do some bracket racing with it. If mass destruction happens after the pinion breaking well then I will pass on it .

Thanks guys/gals..........

FRANKENSTIEN. YOUR OLD BUDDY FASTLANE HAD BROKEN TWO PINION SHAFTS BEFORE . ONE IN MY PRO MODIFIED BIKE ON THE STARTING LINE AT MAPLE GROVE 114 C.I. RACE BIKE. AND MY OLD TRUSTY 1984 XR-1000 BIKE WITH A MODIFIED 1983 ENGINE IN IT . LOTS OF TIMES . IN THE CASE OF RACING MOTORS .ITS A COMBO OF VERYHIGH CAM LIFT'S OF .550 AND UP COMBINEDWITH HEAVY DUTY VALVE SPRING'S . THAT TEND TO PUT EXTREME PRESSURE ON THAT PINION SHAFT AREA . IF THE CAM'S WERENT CHANGED IN THAT 1984 IRONHEAD MOTOR .THEN YES THERE ARE PROBABLY SOME BENT VALVE'S MAYBE A NICKED PISTON ETC. CAN'T REALLY TELL UNTIL IT'S TAKEN APART THOUGHT . IF HE'S TALKIN ABOUT UNLOADING IT FOR SAY BETWEEN 1 TO 2 GRAND . AND DEPENDING ON THE OVERALL LOOK'S CONDITION . IT MIGHT BE WORTH GRABBING TO MAKE A BRACKET RACER OR FLIP IT FOR BETWEEN 3TO 4 GRAND FOR RESALE .FIRST YOU GOT TO GET IT THEN YOU GOT TO FIX IT . YOU KNOW THE DEAL .THE SHAFTS BREAK USUALLY BETWEEN THE BEARING OUTSIDE THE RACE ON THAT RIGHT SIDE CASE . OR MAYBE TAPER LET GO ON RIGHT FLYWHEEL SIDE . THE EARLIER 77 TO 81 STUFF DIDNT BREAK. BUT IT SEEM'S THE LATER 81 OR MOST OF THOSE 82 TO 85 IRONHEAD'S HAD THERE SHARE OF PROBLEM'S THEY TRYED A SINGLE HOLE CRANKPIN CALLED A COMMINZED PIN . THE LATE 84 AND 85 IRONHEADS HAD THE ALTERNATOR CHARGING SYSTEM ON THE CLUTCH BASKET . STAY AWAY FROM THESE 425 DOLLARS LAST TIME I CHECKED WHEN THEY FAIL .THESE WERE THE SAME IN THE EARLY EVO 86 TO 1990 BEFORE THEY WENT TO THE5 SPEEEDS 1991 AND UP . EVEN A BETTER DEAL IF YOU CAN FIND ONE OF THESE BAD BOYS TO MAKE A NEAT LITTLE BRACKET BIKE MORE RELIABLE AND LOT'S MORE PARTS AVAILABLE . PEOPLE DONT WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN THE IRONHEAD STUFF SEEMS ANYMORE . ITS LIKE YOUR TRYING TO GET KNUCKLEHEAD STUFF NOW AND THEY ONLY JUST PASTED THE 20 YEAR MARK 2005 AS CLASSIC BIKES L.O.L. HOPE THIS SHEDS SOME LIGHT . FASTLANE [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
    4 X #1 plate holder 15 time top ten east coast / national dragbike champ. 1993 E.C.R.A. sportsman rider of the year. 55 e.t./ mph records. 1980-2012 CELEBRATING 32 YEARS OF LIFE IN THE FAST LANE!

Frankenstien

Thanks fastlane!!

The thing is priced at $ 1800.00.. And is by all appearences in great condition,i guess I am going to have to flip a friggin coin on this one.The bad part is if the cases are hurt they ar impossible to find. The bike I believe is bone stock,you have to wonder why the shaft broke in the first place.

My first Harley was a ironhead Sportster,I beat that poor thing to death for years and years without ever hurting anything. Of course it did have a heavy duty transmission door.

Iwill have to make a decision and stick with it!! Ifnot to much is hurt then it is an excellent deal for me.Even if I flip it I will make a good chunk of money..Thanks again..

FRANKENSTIEN . AS FAR AS ENGINE CASES THOSE 82 THRU 84 XL'S ESPECIALLY SOME XR-1000'S . I HAD A BAD XR-1000FACTORY CRANKCASE. THELEFT BEARING RACE WAS MOVING AROUND AND SUCKING THE OIL FROM THE PRIMARY SIDE INTOOR THRU THE AREA AND MIX WITHENGINE OILAND RETURN INTO THE OIL TANK.WHICH IN TURN WOULDOVERFILL THE OILTANK WITH EXTRA OIL EVERY 500 TO 1000 MILES.ALSO YOU COULD TELL WHEN YOU WERE RIDING IT. AS THE WET CLUTCH WOULD START TO CHATTER AND WHEN IT WAS ALREADY AT A 1/2 QT QUART LOW .THEY NORMALLY TAKE ONLY3/4 OF A QUART TO FILL UP. THE H-D RECOMMENDED CHECK. SAYS TO TAKE OUT THESMALL PHILLIPS SCREW ON THE BOTTOM OF PRIMARY COVER BELOW SHIFTER AND FILL UP TILLOR WHEN OIL IS COMING OUT OF HOLE WHILE THE BIKE IS UP STRAIGHT. THOSE 82 XL BIKES HAD LOWER COMPRESSION 8.1 VERSE'S 9.1 . VIA THICKER TYPE HEAD GASKETS / 82 TO EARLY 84 CAMS OF THERE OWN /AND THE LATE 84 IRONHEAD LIKE I SAID EARLIER HAD A SET OF LATE 84 AND 85 CAMS TOO AND THE OIL FILTER UP FRONT WHERE THE GENERATOR NORMALLY IS . THIS WILL TELL YOU ALSO IF ITS A EARLY 84 XL OR A LATE MODEL. THEEARLY 84'S WILL HAVE THE SPIN ON TYPE OIL FILTERMOUNTED ON THEFRONT LEFT LOWER MOTOR MOUNT TOO ! THE ONLY THING I FOUND THAT EVER HELPED ME OUT ON THOSE LATE SPORTSTER'S WITH THE LATER 84 AND 85 TYPE FRAME'S .WAS YOU CAN REMOVE THE REAR ROCKER BOX TO SEND OUT FOR CHROME. WHEN WE USED TO GET A LOT OF THESE DONE FOR MY CUSTOMER'S AND NOT HAVE TO PULL THE REAR HEAD TO DO SO LIKE ON ALL THE OLDER IRONHEAD MODELS. IRONHEAD'S RULE LONG LIVE THE 70'S ! [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
    4 X #1 plate holder 15 time top ten east coast / national dragbike champ. 1993 E.C.R.A. sportsman rider of the year. 55 e.t./ mph records. 1980-2012 CELEBRATING 32 YEARS OF LIFE IN THE FAST LANE!