Thread: 1100 gsxr draw thru turbo oil coller question

10.5 terror

puttin together a 91 1100 gsxr with a draw thru kit on it
    do i need to run a oil cooler or can i run the bypass block on it
    or can i get a smaller universal one and run that

also where is every one tapping in to for oil supply for there turbo...

this is a street bike will see street time..
    thanks

Big_T112
    On mine I made spacers for the oil cooler and ran it as is. I tapped into the oil galley plug on the right side of the engine below the ignition pickup cover. I drained back in to the lockup cover. If you see a lot of street use get the HSR Mikuni 42mm with the Mr turbo High pressure needle and seat. IF I rember right you need a 15 pilot jet and a 230 main jet. If you do much 1/4 mile get the bowl extender.1/8th mile it's not such a problem. mine rode good and a lot better than my 1150 turbo I have now with the S&S carb.

Even if it didn't see street use, with the turbo I would say KEEP the cooler. With ANY street use you DEFINITELY keep the cooler! Ray.
    GOD rides a SUZUKI!

Actually, believe it or not...oil cooler deletes are quite common with street turbobikes. The essential rationale is simple...the oil coolers are provided by the OEM's tominimize warranty claims on bikes that see "worst-case" use, typically road-racing. In such conditions, even the stock power level can generate enough heat over time to get the oil temperature intoa dangerous zone. But we are talking hot-lapping at low speeds in hot weather to ever get the oil hot enough to require its own cooling.

As one would not typically road-race a streetor street/stripturbo bike, the usage tends to be short-duration bursts of power that never get the oil hot enough to require a separate cooler. The watercooling system is quite able to alsokeep oil temps down under these conditions.

Exceptions do exist, such as mile-style top-speed racing, or actual road racing. But for general street/strip use, the bike will not be hurt by losing the oil cooler.

I run my turbo bike on the street as well as the strip without an oil cooler. So far I have not had any issues.

Although, that wasbefore I took off my custom air filter...
    It is too bad bench racing is not measureable. That way someone would win.

In MY experience, the OIL cooled GSXRs need the cooler because that motor is OIL cooled. It has nozzles that spray the under sides of the pistons to remove heat. With any length of street riding, it WILL build engine heat that won't be removed without the cooler. I also believe a turbo would only add more heat. This is just MY experience with them & take it for what it's worth. There are always exceptions. Ray. Edited by: suzukiray
    GOD rides a SUZUKI!

Oh. OH! This is an oldie. You are 100% right on this one, Ray...this is most certainly not a watercooled engine. The oil cooler stays. Our system was designed to retain it.

I am all thinking new-age watercooled engines...doh!