Thread: USR HST

geek
    <a href="http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdrom/CPM/MODEMS/MODEM/USR9600.TXT" target="_blank">
    How do you know if your a techno jockey? You spend a $1000 dial up modem back in the 80's.

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...EM/USR9600.TXT

</A>

Mark,

I'll give you a good deal on the one I have...Edited by: Paulcav
    It is too bad bench racing is not measureable. That way someone would win.

geek
    Then I would have two sitting on the shelf. Was surprized you would still use one. Can you connect above 2400 with it?

I wrote a few scripts with Qmodem and Procomm for mine. War dialer of course but also used to use the Merrit network to reduce my long distance calls.I would dial local, then have the modem on the other end drop to command mode and then have it dial local BBS numbers for it's area. There were several colleges using this network so I could log ontoquite a few of the larger BBSs this way. I was surprized they did not have this system locked down.

I think there was something in the owner's manual that talked about how fast that thing could detect a carrier signalto defeat the long distance charges when war dialing.

Those were the days. I gave away my first suction cup 300 baud modem but still have my Hayes 300 smart modem. Edited by: geek

I forgot about Procomm, LOL. That was a different time back then.

I was just kidding last night, I do not still use one, I am not even sure I remember how. I made the comment when everyone was asking Wade what kind of connection he had.
    It is too bad bench racing is not measureable. That way someone would win.

geek

Dang, if I could only get half my money back!!! Then again, they were pretty kick butt for the times. Top is the original Hayes Smart Modem. What a step up it was over the suction cups.

[img]uploads/640/image009.jpg[/img]