Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V6 TWO STROKE BIKE

I HAVE BEEN KICKING ABOUTTHE IDEA OF BUILDING A BIKE WITH A BIG 2 STROKE OUTBOARD ENGINE FOR SOME TIME NOW- ANYWAYS FINALLY GOT HOLD OF AN ENGINE. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO OR PICTURES OF ANYTHING SIMILAR BEING DONE NOW OR BEFORE ?? I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN AT LEAST A COUPLE OF ATTEMPTS BEFORE BUT DETAILS SEEM VERY HAZY. ALL I HAVE TO DO NOW IS TRY TO GET 2.5 LITRES OF V6 MERCURY INTO A BIKE FRAME !!!
    ANY INFO GREATLY RECEIVED ESPECIALLY ON DRIVE TRAIN IDEAS .
    CHEERS.Edited by: FINCHY

The man you need to know: Marv Jorgenson fromFridley,Minnesota USA.
    Marv holds land speed records with Mercury 2.5 single 600hpengine on a snowmobile, and I think he also had4 Mercury 2.5 literengines on another record breaking snowmobile. Very great idea,I have also thought abouta two stroke outboard engine on a dragbike. Light weight high power output easy to acheive 300hp to 350hp with verylittle modifiction.Alternative powerplants for dragbikes are not a good subject at this form, the moderators get very testy and kick highly respected people off this form. Sorry to have to say this, it's just fair warning. If you need more information on Marv and how to contact him PM me and I will get the info., or just Google his name ,his info. and pictures of his setupsimmeditly pop up for selection.Edited by: Powergreed
    The never ending search for power!!!

[.Alternative powerplants for dragbikes are not a good subject at this form, the moderators get very testy and kick highly respected people off this form.MR. Miller we all know there was more to the story than your statement suggests and if a V6 2 stroke powered bike is built in England my guess is he didn't plan torun many AMA Dragebike races. Edited by: madd57
    I strive for average.

thanks guys, can't really see how discussing varied possibilities for making a bike do a quarter as fast as possible is a taboo subject-but I only joined yesterday so I will take heed of any advice given. And you are correct ,can't see me runing on your side of the pond-would make for a really long weekend & travelling costs would be pretty large !!!
    As I said before any ideas or advice on transmission & drivetrain setup would be warmly recieved. Outboard arrives on Tuesday, so let the head scratching begin.

http://forums.dragbike.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13553 Finchy you might find this interesting. Also under AMA Dragbike rules as they now stand only motercycle or "motorcycle based" engines are legal , no automotive,aircraft,snowmobile,watercraft,ect. Good luck on this project if you undertake it and don't be shy about posting progress reports.
    I strive for average.

... Finchy, sell all that bizarre stuff, get one of those new BMW's and be on the leading edge of back cutting and clearancing the tranny with a kill shift, and be like most of us (lol). Btw, welcome to the board !!!
    ... All the Federalees say,
    ... We could have had him, any day,
    ... But who would haul our aerospace freight, away.

Quote Originally Posted by FINCHY
    thanks guys, can't really see how discussing varied possibilities for making a bike do a quarter as fast as possible is a taboo subject-but I only joined yesterday so I will take heed of any advice given.
    Welcome aboard Finchy, and no it is not taboo todiscuss what you are talking about. Follow the rules of the forum and all is good.

Thanks for the welcome people's. If anyone is interested I will post some pics as project progresses. I'm hoping to get some sort of machine runningbefore theend of this years sprint season. If that goes ok then try a few drag meetings next year hopefully.
    From what little I know about these motors they only rev to about 5500rpm in stock trim with huge amounts(for a 2 stroke) of torque, so a 2 or 3 speed gearbox, possibly even a single speed will be the way to go. Any thoughts ???
    cheers
    finchy.

Hi Finchy, I often thought that a V6 or V8 outboard two stroke would be intresting in a bike.
    I took part in a sprint in Holland back in 76 and there was a bike with a straight 6 two stroke from a boat competing, not sure how fast it was but sure did sound nice.
    Good luck with your project and keep us informed on the build and where you are running it.

Sam.
    175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder

Hi Finchy,

Sounds like an interesting project. I reckon that you'll need a three speed to make it work properly. How about making a billet casing to accept a Kawasaki Z1000 gearbox or similar. Then you have a choice in the future of a stock gearbox, or you putRobinson/Wiseman 3/4/5 speed internals in it take more power as you get it sorted. You'd have to arrange an idler gear otherwise you'll go very fast backwards
    Pics of the motor would be nice.
    Bob Brooks
    Yellow Metal Racing
    Blown Alky Puma

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast