Hi all, well my little project seems to have created some interest, I must have been like a parrott at Zoyland repeating the same answers about every 5 minutes to interested parties.
As mentioned nothing fell off or broke which was good & somewhat unexpected, but she would not take anymore than about 1/3 throttle without dying. The cause ( I think) is the needle valves could not flow near enough methanol to keep bowls even close to full.
Next time out she will be running on good old petrol with a nice fully synth oil. The clutch was a bit fragile & I will have to do some mods before the next meeting.
Obviously I'm disappointed that I didn't run anything to speak of, in fact I don't even know what times it ran, but at least I haven't got to chop the whole thing about, just get it to run properly !!!
thanks for the interest,
When will your next outing be and might it be anywhere other than WZ?
What's your real name and do we know one another ?
Hi again all,
Bike is now running on petrol, just super unleaded at the moment as compression is not that high yet. Sounds a lot happier, even ticks over at about 750 rpm & hopefully the reduced amount of fuel needed ( and oil) should mean the needle valves can keep up with engines fuel demands easily, only time will tell.
Anyway the reason for posting is that I am building a slider clutch setup & was hoping someone could advise me what sort of length arm pivots , weights & hold off springs are used ?? I know its a "how long is a bit of string" question due to so many variables but some idea of what is used would be greatly appreciated. If it helps the clutch is running at engine speed, about 7500 rpm max, the arm pivots are on 118mm pcd & my initial set of arms are 20mm centers on push side & 30mm centers on fly out side, with another hole at 18mm centers. I've got 6mm diam holes for adding weights & the arms themselves are 6mm steel. I rekon the nature of the engine will allow for a low stall speed between 1500-3000 rpm. I was going to use some std fireblade clutch springs for the hold off springs for now . Any thoughts ???
I haven't any information at all that would help you but I would like to congratulate you for living out your dreams. That is one awesome project! If you ever put that thing on a dyno I'd really like to see the numbers.
Thanks for the comments, it has been a long road of headaches & I fear some more to come yet, but I do have a bike with a V6 outboard engine in it !!!!! The plan is to get it on a dyno in a couple of weeks time, just to get a safe base setting for the motor now its on petrol & to make sure the fuel system can cope as running a 13.2 first time out was, with all the attention it got , bloody embarrasing.
If makes for an interesting read I may well post up the results of the dyno runs.
If all goes to plan I should just about get the slider clutch parts machined & heat treated & tested before next outing on 30th June.
If anyone has any video of the bike at Weston Zoyland, I would love to see (hear) it as I have none,
Heh, Finchy, did you make the outing June 30th? Updates please.
Keith, I have no news on this event but I was in the area and just a couple of hours away but the weather was against me so I didn't make it.
Our club magazine is due out anytime now so i'll post any reports if John don't get back on here.
Hope to see you again at Valdosta in November if you can make it.
John did run at the event, but still had fuel problems.
Wondered if the ram effect on the carbs was an issue - and he tried shielding them, which resulted in a 11.35/123 after overnight mods.
I believe the floats may have got attacked by the methanol used earlier.
Hi all, been busy as hell at work but now furiously trying to get bike ready for last Zoyland meeting on 6th & 7th October.
As Keith rightly says I still had fueling trouble last time out which was caused by the ram effect on carbs so I bodged up some shields on the saturday evening & went to the line on Sunday morning only to be stopped from running with fuel running out the carb overflows ( a problem I've had on & off). Then spent most of the rest of the day trying to drain petrol out of 4 of the six floats which were leaking. Anyway managed to get to the line & made a cautious run, still unable to get full throttle in one twist of the wrist due to the 6 carbs being so heavy I've had to slow down the the throttle linkage ratio, but it pulled good until I changed into 3rd way too early & it went flat again, but I had cured the carb issue. When we got it back to the pits we found the rear wheel bearings had seized & actually spun the spindle in the blocks so this may well explain some of the flatness in 3rd gear.
Missed last w/zoyland meet as I was being bestman at my mates wedding so this is my last chance to try to get some half respectable times weather permitting.
I've now got some added cooling & an electric start & a rear wheel bearing spacer that won't collapse, taken a gamble on 2 carbs into a plenum for 3 cylinders, meaing only using 4 carbs now so throttle is much lighter & opens fully in one twist of the wrist- time will tell if the plenums will work, but the bike runs still. Also got some different design floats for carbs & proper shields for carb mouths.
Here's hoping for some good weather & some trouble free runs,
thanks for the interest,
Keep at it, and please post here when you have news. Love this thing!!
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|