Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does a GS1100/1150 engine weigh?

You can see it on Outlaw Dragbike, it appears to me 12-18% bulker but looks like it belongs in the frame. Bill posted some dim. somewhere.
    It's not bragging if you can do it. Fear None-Respect Few

Quote Originally Posted by S2LR

Let's ignore the weight factor for a minute...</font>
    <div></div>What about the physical dimensions of this thing? By doing a little visualizing, it doesn't appear to be a nice tight package on two wheels when everything is included...
    </font><div></div>
    <div></font></div>
    <div>Visions of Russ Collins' "sourcerer" come to mind...</font></div>
    Certainly, it's larger than a GS engine, which is admittedly a true testament to compact design. However, visions of a bike like "Sorcerer" are way more than what we would expect!

My current engine nestles perfectly into a standard issue Harley TF chassis identical to this one. You folks may recognize this fella, Joey Sternotti, who's gone 6-teens on this chassis:

Here's what the beginning looks like. My crankshaft centerline is even in the identical location as on Joey's fueler! Fact is, the engine's only a couple inches taller and wider than a Hayabusa. More pics can be found on my Facebook page, for those interested.

World Champion in Pro Street, Pro Mod, and Funnybike
    Multiple National and World Record Holder
    Professional Crewchief of the Year
    Multiple Best Engineered Award Winner
    Hahn Dragbike Dynasty Member

is the clutch inboard or outboard, the drive is going to effect the over-all width (unless its a gear drive) by about 4"

Quote Originally Posted by riceburner
    is the clutch inboard or outboard, the drive is going to effect the over-all width (unless its a gear drive) by about 4"
    Quite true. Overall width of this engine is comparable to existing TF 4-cylinder bikes. The clutch will be a unique semi-inboard configuration coupled to a belt drive. The setup will allow the clutch to be readily removed and serviced. Altogether, the width across the trans/clutch region of the bike will be very close to what we see now in Top Fuel.

Bill, do you see any issues with keeping the bike weight balanced side to side? Thanks, Ray.
    GOD rides a SUZUKI!

Ray, I don't see that it would be any more of a concern with this combination than with any other...if I may, why do you ask? Do you feel there's an inherent issue lurking in this regard?

Mr. Bill,
    <DIV> Curious to know the cost of this ecotech motor you are gonna use? I am building a mini-dragster and always open to knew ideas....</DIV>

<DIV>Rick</DIV>
    Outspoken but Fair
    Noisy Toys Racing built Mini Dragster... Busa Powered

As long as the completed bike takes in account of all the mounted pieces and certain parts that could be moved around to balance it in a vertical position at rest.

<DIV>Schultz helped a guy when his bike would pull to the right everytime he rode it. Then Dave showed him that in a verical resting position it would fall over to the right immediately. Schultz showed him to move a couple of things to the left side and the problem went away.</DIV>

<DIV>I guess that makes sense?</DIV>
    A guy passed me in the traps, ran off the track & plowed into a cow pasture. He stood up, hay stuck in his hair. I asked are you alright, he said "I, didnnnt see the fin fin finish line!" True Story

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A
    As long as the completed bike takes in account of all the mounted pieces and certain parts that could be moved around to balance it in a vertical position at rest.

<DIV>Schultz helped a guy when his bike would pull to the right everytime he rode it. Then Dave showed him that in a verical resting position it would fall over to the right immediately. Schultz showed him to move a couple of things to the left side and the problem went away.</DIV>

<DIV>I guess that makes sense?</DIV>
    This is EXACTLY the reason I asked Bill. I also think there will be WAAAYYYYYY more torque to affect the lean of the bike with that engine also. Realistically, you are looking at 1200-1500 HP from that engine on nitro or turboed, correct? Thanks, Ray.
    GOD rides a SUZUKI!

How will torque affect lean? The crank still runs perpendicular to the direction of travel. BTW: the question I have is does it matter which waythe crankshaft turns? (assuming of course the rear wheel drives the bike forward (for all you smart asses out there))
    see ya in the lanes
    bix

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast