Thread: Help Going Ol' School (or back to school)w/ Dyna S

Been a long time since I used aa Dyna S and DRL-400 (20 years). I have been using 4000s and Pro Ser II so I wanted to make sure I got this right on an old restoration project.

<DIV>I leave the12+ on to the coils and DRL-400, but breakthe 12+ thru the air swicth to just the Dyna S for the shift kill, does that seem right?</DIV>

<DIV>Also the Dyna Shift counter says it can be used on systems other than the4000. So if it is normallyy used to do the kill like an air switch with the 4000, then why can't I runthe 12+ through the orange and black wire on to the red wire going to the Dyna S for the kill? What's confusing is the Shift Counter instructions say the black wire on the pair is a ground? It says I may need to use a relay?</DIV>

<DIV>Cannot find any diagrams for Dyna S with an air kill or using a shift counter on other than a 4000 system.</DIV>Edited by: Dave A
    A guy passed me in the traps, ran off the track & plowed into a cow pasture. He stood up, hay stuck in his hair. I asked are you alright, he said "I, didnnnt see the fin fin finish line!" True Story

Yes on Dyna S kill.
    Zeke

Yes, you have to usea relay with the Shift Counter to achieve the kill. The ORANGE wire will provide a ground signal the the relay at the activation point.

<DIV>Scott</DIV>

Got it, Thanks
    A guy passed me in the traps, ran off the track & plowed into a cow pasture. He stood up, hay stuck in his hair. I asked are you alright, he said "I, didnnnt see the fin fin finish line!" True Story

Hmmm,
    <DIV>Years ago when all we ran was just a dyna S and coilsI found thatanytime you removed 12v from the dyna s plate you would get a random spark from the coils --nomatter where the crank was positioned at.</DIV>
    <DIV>If you had a toggle switch for your ignition--and without the bike running ---you got a spark everytime you toggled it to OFF.</DIV>
    <DIV>It would sometimes "pop"out the pipe if it had enough fuel in a cylinder and an ex valve was open.</DIV>
    <DIV>Ihad seen bikes that would "POP" loudly sometimes on shifts when usingthe air shifter and they were breaking the 12v to the dyna plate.</DIV>
    <DIV>I left 12v to the plate and interupted the 12v to only the coils for the kill sequence and it never popped on shifts after that.</DIV>
    <DIV>WhenIbreak/interupt the 12v to the coilsonly I didnot get that random spark like I did interupting the 12v to the plate.</DIV>
    <DIV>As I say--------I'm talking about a dyna "S"</DIV>
    I can't get my horse to wake up.

I get the same 'pop' when I turn the ignition off on my Zed, which is equipped with a Dyna 'S' ignition system. It just seems to be one of the idiosyncracies of it.

I agree -to a point-----thats just the way it is.
    <DIV>However----and I "may" be being too picky here---but the idea of the voltage being interupted on shiftsis to stop spark----not create it.</DIV>
    I can't get my horse to wake up.

You can do the coils too but you have to make sure nothing is getting it's power from there. The idea is to interupt the low current power to the Dyna S as opposed to the higher current of the coils. I have done it both ways and never had an issue. You could also ground the - side of the coils using a couple of diodes and a 5 ohm/ 5 watt resistor. Dynatek has a drawing for this.

<DIV>Scott</DIV>
    <DIV>Scott</DIV>