Thread: Timing a turbo-charged motor...KZ1000

Hope someone can help on this. I have a turbo on my KZ1000. It was on there when I bought it. I know a turbo needs to have the timing retarded but not sure how to go about it. My bike has a PS11 installed also. I know next to nothing about the PS11 but am starting to read up on it so it won't be so hard to understand. I'm stuck on how do you time a turbo-charged motor? Another guy on another site is trying to time his with a stock ignition set-up and having same questions so though I would ask here as I know there are those who can help here. So...I know you want to retard the timing to about 30* BTDC. How do you do that? If anyone can write up a step-by-step on how to time the motor to acheive this, it would be a great help to me and a few others...at least. How do you do it with a stock ignition set-up? I am interested in doing it with the stock KZ electronic ignition and expecially with the PS11 ignition. How do you know when you are at 30* or any other setting? Do I need one of those advance timing lights to do it or is there another way? Been awhile since I've done any of this so am really rusty but need to know. My bike with the turbo is out of time and not sure how to get it back to where it needs to be or even how to tell where the timing is set at now. Any one willing to take the time to detail the steps on how to time a turbo...in detail...and where I can find any information on the timing of turbo-charged motors. Do you need to retard it more when boost comes in and if so, how much? Is there a general rule of thumb on how much timing to take out for a certain amount of boost used? I know this can be complicated depending on many things but even a base recommendation would get me moving in the right direction. This things are new to me and quite frankly...am a little lost. Appreciate any help you can give.

Can you run a PS11 on the street or would a Dyna 2000 ignition system be a better set-up? Would it be easier to time with the Dyna? Any advantages to either one for a street-based turbo-charged bike?

i assume your talking about the schnitz pro series II box just to be sure. if so it has everything you need to run a turbo and it is easy to use and you can set up the retard curve anyway you want with it. static timing it is very easy to do and i believe you can download a manual from schnitz if you dont have one im not up on the msd stuff anymore i just run the schnitz box its just easy and works for me

No sense in buying a timing light for one useage. I'd bet if you go to the local track and ask for help someone would be glad to get it going. Or take it to a bike shop for the basic timing setup. I use all Dyna with a3 stage retardfor simplicity so probably can't help with the Schnitz box settings. What you ask is dependent on boost and fuel for settings. Put in 32' full advance and retard with load from theredepending on detonation.
    2011 & 2012 NHRA D6 champion, 2013 tie to 2nd,,,, still had fun.

It is a Schnitz Pro-Series 11 box. I read that a PS11 is not a good ignition for the street but heard it would be fine so not sure which is correct. I have a manual for it but didn't see where it told how to time with it. I will have to look again and read more carefully. Once you put the retard in, how does it get triggered to retard the timing. The bike has a sending unit in manifold but it's not connected to anything. Was told I need a Dyna retard box to hook up between sending unit and PS11 but I was also told the Dyna will not work with the PS11 box to do this. Thinking of putting on a Dyna 2000. Supposedly, it has a few different advance curves to use for a turbo set-up and is easy to time with built in timing light. Bike was timed at 36* static and had 6* retard in box but I can't figure out how it is retarded or how it's triggered. Have some learning to do I guess.

You need to use a Dyna trigger set-up with a 2 magnet rotor. Other than that, the Pro2 has been run for 1,000s of miles on the street without a problem.
    14 Time Pro Mod National #1 Tuner Rider of the Quickest Nitrous Hayabusa First in the 6\'s with GS Suzuki,Kawasaki, and Hayabusa Pro Mod Billy Vose

It has the set-up you mentioned. Does it need different coils to run on the street then on the track?

Use the manual for initial setup and for street use with the turbo and NO nitrous I would use the boost reference switch set to maybe 4 lbs as your trigger sw on the box. that way you can have 36 deg timing (or whatever you need) for normal driving and set the initial retard to 6 deg (or whatever you need) and that will change as the bike sees boost and not just full throttle. Your advance curve in the box works just about like the dyna units.

Thanks for all the replies. They all helped. Talked to a local racer and he explained a few things about the PS11 box and how to use it. Thanks to Dan McCarten of 2WheelSpeed for the information. Made things clearer so should be able to get this thing going soon. Advice to talk to racers seems to ring true!!!