Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Hahn Sr. Line Loc

<DIV>I am looking for a source of an air/over hydraulic in- line (pinch valve), Line Lock that Bill Sr. sold. Mine was broken and I am looking for replacement</DIV>
    <DIV>See below:</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>Edited by: CALDWELL

A past funnybike champ that lives in Iowa has made some of these, he made the one I used. Can'twrite his name onhere because I don't think he isa paid advertiser now.

Imitation remains the sincerest form of flattery. My dad was forced to blush a lot this way...
    World Champion in Pro Street, Pro Mod, and Funnybike
    Multiple National and World Record Holder
    Professional Crewchief of the Year
    Multiple Best Engineered Award Winner
    Hahn Dragbike Dynasty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALDWELL
    <DIV>I am looking for a source of an air/over hydraulic in- line (pinch valve), Line Lock that Bill Sr. sold. Mine was broken and I am looking for replacement</DIV>
    <DIV>See below:</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Caldwell, to be a bit more helpful: Dad manufactured these himself, so you will need to find an imitation, or a used original, to replace it.</DIV>

It's an old Nupro / Swagelok valve.
    Seven Time European Top Fuel Bike Champions
    British Record Holders
    Visit us at www.kingracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian King
    Interesting! I have actual drawings here of some of the parts...you say it's an off-the-shelf piece?

Use an automobile line lock solenoid

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian King
    Interesting! I have actual drawings here of some of the parts...you say it's an off-the-shelf piece?
    I don't know if it is Bill's own design valve or not, and it was an incorrect turn of phrase. It should have read `Looks like it's an old Nupro / Swagelok valve'. In any case you can use an off the shelf valve if that is what is faulty.
    Seven Time European Top Fuel Bike Champions
    British Record Holders
    Visit us at www.kingracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by mathews4243
    Use an automobile line lock solenoid
    This would not serve the intended function, as the BHP Stagemaster pictured here was much more than just an electric over hydraulic solenoid that locks the brakes once applied (as a line-loc does).

<DIV>Stagemaster used compressed air to actually apply the rear brake. It was actuated by a clever handlebar-end air switch,operated by the clutch lever while staging. It applied the brake at a percentage of total braking power so that it would not lock the rear wheel should one need to pull in the clutch lever once underway. It was fully automatic in that the rider did not have to apply brake and/or throw a switch or a button, just pull in the clutch lever, stage with now-greatly enhanced confidence, and GO!</DIV>

<DIV>Its intent was to prevent starting line creep (and redlights!) encountered at the mega-RPMs we used to free-rev the turbo bikes to launch; of course, this was before the days of two-steps or sliders.</DIV>

<DIV>Ian, I know of no off-the-shelf industrial valve that performs the Stagemaster's function, nor one that would have been engineered (in terms of force, pressure ratios and materials compatibilty) to fit this purpose specifically. Dad designed it from the ground up for this task, and to the best of my knowledge, it was a clean-sheet-of-paper BHP design.</DIV>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast