Thread: Freddie Klies

I got this e-mail today from Neena Finchconcerning Freddie Klies.

My name is Neena Finch I am the Therapeutic Recreation Director in the Flanders Community where Freddie Klies is currently staying. I spoke with Freddie's sister Dina Cross today and told her that I saw blogs from people wanting to know what happened to Freddie or where he went to. She has given me permission to try and have people reconnect with Freddie.

Our address is:

ATTN: Freddie Klies/Flanders Community

Kent Specialty Care Center

46 Maple Street

Kent, Ct 06757

I am sure Freddie would love to hear from everyone in his racing and karate world. Keep in mind that Freddie is not the same man you once knew. Visually he appears the same but mentally and cognitively he has suffered a great loss.If you could pass this message to people in your social circles and let them know about Freddie and perhaps they reconnect with cards or letters, or perhaps even a visit.

Freddie is happy and content in his new environment. He constantly walks around with pictures of his two sons showing them to everyone. I would love it if people could find some time to reconnect with him.It may just open that window for him and mentally stimulate some memories.

Regards,

Neena Finch TRD

Edited by: Marc Powe
    NuSouth Drag Racing Leauge, LLC
    www.ndrl.us

Wow. Anyone remember what happened? Did he have an accident or something?

Wonder if there is internet there. We might be able to get together and get Freddie an ipad so he could visit us.Edited by: APE Jay
    Home of the world\'s fastest motorcycle racing products.
    APE Race Parts

Become a TEAM APE sponsored racer Team APE

Cylinder Heads
    Crankshafts
    Trac King Clutches

Quote Originally Posted by APE Jay
    Wow. Anyone remember what happened? Did he have an accident or something?

Wonder if there is internet there. We might be able to get together and get Freddie an ipad so he could visit us.
    Freddie had an email address when he was first at the "Kent Specialty Care Center"...we communicated couple times a week in the beginning and talked Drag Racing and Karate and you could tell he was losing something as time went by and then I quit hearing from him...if I remember he had a Auto Accident that caused his problem, I could be wrong about that but it was something difficult for him to talk about...

A picture Freddie sent me at the beginning of his problem...

Edited by: Joe Smith
    GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
    INDY CHAMP 1971, 74 & 75

Joe is right. It was an accident with trauma to the head. I got that pic as well and I use to get and send e-mail to Freddie as well. We spoke some years back about turbochargers. Jackie Bryce connected us together because Freddie was looking to build a turbo kit for some snowmobiles. I knew something was wrong with Freddie because he would send me the same e-mails.......meaning he was having memory issues. He sent me pics that showed where he had trauma to the head and they were not pretty.
    Jay, I will ask if he has internet access.

Marc
    www.ndrl.us

Thanks for this update Marc. Freddie had sent me some pics of him after the accident with his head all stapled up with the pictures of his truck! & we even talkedseveral times after that before he dropped off the radar. This sucks to hear as I hada bunch ofconversations with him & he is a nice guy. I have a P/S Suzuki chassis he built that has gone 7.16 & 194. It has some pretty neat build ideas in it! I have just let it sit since I got it but think now I will get it all together just to show people what he did. I wish I hadn't pulled the Eastern Cycle Performance stickers off it now! Ray.
    GOD rides a SUZUKI!

... Fred, did have somebody pull out in front of him from a side street or driveway. He was in a car or truck. As Joe said, it was quite strange that his mental acuity was not affected at first. I was hoping he improved by now. As the med-tech said maybe we can trigger some help there.
    ... All the Federalees say,
    ... We could have had him, any day,
    ... But who would haul our aerospace freight, away.

Here is the latest respone I got concerning Freddie. I think it would be nice to send Freddie some old motorcycle drag racing pics and video footage etc. From the response given,it appears that Freddie is not able to communicate well via computer or via the phone.Freddie can be reachedvia the followinge-mail address for now... flandersrecreation@gmail.com.Read below.

"Marc

We do have access to a computer but he would not be able to operate it by himself. Please let all his friends know that he can be reached via this email address for right now and by US Postal. I would need to help Freddie to understand and respond back to you. Communications should be kept very simple as he does have comprehension issues. Today he watched drag racing on the TV and his eyes lite up. I am hoping I can find some bike racing for him to watch. Anything that could open a window for Freddie would be great. Visitations or letters, pictures, keep in mind he would not be able to talk over the phone. He does understand what you say but has trouble articulating his thoughts. I am so happy to hear from you, I want to thank you for caring about Freddie. He is a great fun guy who is acclimating slowly to our community. I appreciate that you posted a message to the racing members about Freddie.

Today, Freddie went up to one of the other men in our community and gave him a funny handshake (what appears to be a guy thing he use to do) and I was watching him and he had a big smile on his face. Each little thing is a triumph for Freddie. I will be passing on this info to his sister Dina Cross so she can keep abreast of his outside communications. She was excited to hear that contact would be made, I am sure she will be more excited to know that someone has responded. She didn't know many of Freddie's contacts in the racing world but she did know he was well known by many."
    www.ndrl.us

Paul Stuart made contact with Neena and shesent this current pic of Freddie. He looks well!
    www.ndrl.us

Hi Freddie! Damn it's good to see him smiling

Stories like this, while very dishearteningas they describe a friend's loss,can help us appreciate what we do have. There but for the grace of God go I.

We easily take these things for granted; thingsthat Freddie may never enjoy again, like the pure joy of operating a motorcycle, or playing on the Internet, or being enriched by a great novel. Let's all take a moment just to reflect on how precious our lives and loved ones are to us all!
    World Champion in Pro Street, Pro Mod, and Funnybike
    Multiple National and World Record Holder
    Professional Crewchief of the Year
    Multiple Best Engineered Award Winner
    Hahn Dragbike Dynasty Member

TRUE!
    www.ndrl.us