Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gapless rings

Anyone use gapless rings in their bike and if so did you like them?
    I strive for average.

I used to use Total Seal in my old fule bike but had some `grooving' problems in the barrels around the top ring at TDC. However, many swear by them.
    Seven Time European Top Fuel Bike Champions
    British Record Holders
    Visit us at www.kingracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian King
    I used to use Total Seal in my old fule bike but had some `grooving' problems in the barrels around the top ring at TDC. However, many swear by them.
    I had the exact same issue when I used them in my Blown Camaro.

Being a Mechanical Engineer I have done a lot of research concerning gapless rings and

after visiting the very impressiveTotal Seal factory and spending a lot of time speaking to their expert technical staff, I have decided to run gapless top rings in my 1327cc Suzuki for next years race season.

S.K.

I used them on my Kawi F/B, only the 2nd ring was gapless, it did help noticably on the catch can.
    John, [i]Davis Racing

In additon to the gapless, Total Seal also provides excellent conventional rings too, so they have a lot of options for us. It's a great company, very focused and driven by racing.
    World Champion in Pro Street, Pro Mod, and Funnybike
    Multiple National and World Record Holder
    Professional Crewchief of the Year
    Multiple Best Engineered Award Winner
    Hahn Dragbike Dynasty Member

We have seen therm seal up motors that conventional rings couldn't.

http://www.aperaceparts.com/totalseal.htmlEdited by: APE Jay
    Home of the world\'s fastest motorcycle racing products.
    APE Race Parts

Become a TEAM APE sponsored racer Team APE

Cylinder Heads
    Crankshafts
    Trac King Clutches

Quote Originally Posted by John Davis
    I used them on my Kawi F/B, only the 2nd ring was gapless, it did help noticably on the catch can.
    Yes, you run gapless on 2nd for blown / turbo apps.
    Seven Time European Top Fuel Bike Champions
    British Record Holders
    Visit us at www.kingracing.com

Thanks for the info guys. Have motors apart,might try them and see if they hold up better than what's in them now.
    I strive for average.

I switched to gapless rings on my low 9 second air cooled Kawasaki bracket bike 3 years ago. I was hoping totake offa tenth or so on my ET. I did not see any noticable difference on my time slip after going with the gapless rings. I went with the gapless top ring set for my normally aspirated application and had Total Seal do the laterial gas porting on the pistons as they recommended. The gapless rings drastically changed my air/fuel ratio due to the stronger intake signal produced by the gapless rings. Also, oil is able to be pulled down past my valve guides down on top of my pistons due to the stronger intake signal. I get a good puff of smoke out of my exhaust when I first start the bike, and when I first open the throttle for the burnout, and when I go up on the launch limiter. My valve guides and seals are in good shape. Onthe plus side, after two full seasons, my cold leak down is still less than 5% per cylinder. If you are planning to use them for a nitrous or turbo applicationit is recommended touse the gapless second ring set over the gapless top ring set. I hopethe next timeI pull the engine apart that I don't see the grooving that Ian spoke about in his previous post. If you decide to give them a try, expect to do some tuning to get your engine to run properly.Edited by: Todd Meyer
    ashes to ashes, dust to dust......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast