Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KZ basket on a Gpz1100 uni motor

KZ basket on a Gpz1100 uni motor

Hi all,
    I have a steel kz900 basket, and a open gpz1100 unitrack ('84) motor open on the bench.
    Ive trimmed the cases where the band on the kz clutch basket touches them slightly with a die grinder, and the basket sits on and spins. However, how do you deal with the clutch lifter?
    The gpz gearbox input shaft is longer it seems, and the stock kz pressure plate won't fit flush on over it even without the lifter mushroom. I looked at the gpz11 unit and they went to a dished top hat shape washer held into the pressure plate with a eared circlip which allows the shaft to protrude further into the pressure plate area, but I cant machine the kz pressure plate to take this, as I'd be cutting through a bunch of stiffening ribs that keep the integrity of the pressure plate.

I cant space the clutch basket further from the shaft because the drive gear has to align with the crank & it would be fouling the crankcase wall with the gear.

I possibly can trim the end of the gpz shaft down a little and top hat the plate and try and work it out, but it feels like me making a big job of what I understood was a fairly straightforward bolt in mod.

So what am I missing here , or what have I done wrong with my parts combo's?

Ok, I think the way out of this mess is to turn the gearbox input shaft shorter and rethread it, is that the missing part of the puzzle?

You need the input shaft from a older J model (81,82)-----they are shorter and all the z-1 clutch stuff will fit then except for the clutch pusher(mushroom)--turn a z-1 pusher down to fit into the J shaft and use a 5/16(8mm) ball.
    I use the bigger style J clutch push rod that runs through the input shaft and the matching bearing cap---athough the smaller Z-1 rod and bearing cap will work fine also
    I can't get my horse to wake up.

Thanks, I have a spare '81 1100 motor I can strip down for it

Its in and on, only issue now is the stock outer cover fouls the basket. But as I have to make a spacer for the lockup anyway I can fix that easy. Thanks!

I just realized(duh) I dont know whats going on------I was thinking it was for the GPZ trans in the MKII case project.
    The majority of my experience is on the KZ stuff with kick starter cases
    Last edited by funny1; 01-21-2012 at 02:00 PM.

When I would do this modification I would just use a Z1 clutch assembly, inner, outer hub, pressure plate, springs and lock up, bolts right in.

Riceburner, I hate to say this, but no it doesnt if Im reading your advice right. The '84 gpz11 gearbox input shaft is longer because the 11 clutch inner is a mess of springs and adapters, and so much longer the shaft actually protudes out into the kz basket pressure plate stopping it even bolting up. Thats what I was stuck on originally, I'd taken a kz basket and clutch complete and tried to fit it to my 84 gpz motor and hit the above problem.

funny1: your advice was spot on, thats what I meant by its in and sorted, ie after following your advice. The b1 shaft is shorter where it matters and it all works, bar the kz pressure plate fouls the outer cover casing slightly. Ive since trimmed the ribs off the outer cover a bit with a die grinder and its all spinning clear, but I notice MTC sell a adapter plate that lets you use a stock kz outer plate on a gpz motor to cure this aspect anyway.

Its all good---I just had this thread/project/author confused with another thread/project/author I had replied to.
    I will also say---dont forget that when you pull the clutch lever in the pressure plate is going to move out and get even closer to the outer cover.

Yes, I would also use a KZ or Z1 input shaft with a J output shaft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast