First Time CMDRA Champions Emerge At Season Finals
The Canadian Motorcycle Drag Racing Association brought its 2016 season to a close at Mission Raceway Park on September 24th and 25th. With multiple class championships undecided, racers arrived in British Columbia’s lower mainland anxious to battle for critical points in the season standings.
Despite having increased his points lead in the Hawaya Racing Products Pro Dragster class during Saturday qualifying, a first round exit during Sunday’s elimination rounds left Fort Saskatchewan’s Doug Casson in the unenviable position of having others determine his championship fate. With top three contender Quinn Olson also losing in the first round, Al Miles of Edmonton Alberta had the opportunity to claim a fifth consecutive title, but his challenge ended with a second-round loss to Washington’s Ron Anderson, leaving Casson on top of the season points standings to win his first ever CMDRA Championship.
2016 Hawaya Racing Products Pro Dragster Champion Doug Casson
In the Arai Helmets Draggin Jeans Super Bike Class, 20-year-old Riley Toth of Medicine Hat carried forward the momentum of his win at the CMDRA Badlands Nationals, advancing into Sunday’s final elimination round and gaining the points necessary to take the 2016 Championship in his first year competing full-time in the CMDRA.
Other first-time champions included Clayton Potter of Calgary Alberta who set a new Super Street ET record of 8.604 seconds en route to winning the Season Finals race and the 2016 Championship, and Matt Mackay-Smith of Merritt BC with his third win of the season in Blackjacks Roadhouse Pro Mod and his first CMDRA championship.
2015 CMDRA Class Champions:
- BlackJacks Roadhouse Pro Modified: Matt Mackay-Smith
- Pro Street: Ethan Barkley
- Hawaya Racing Products Pro Dragster: Doug Casson
- Arai Helmets Dragging Jeans Super Bike: Riley Toth
- Super Street: Clayton Potter
- Super Gas: Jeff Pitre
- Screamin’ Eagle Stock XL: Jeff Pitre
- Hot Harley Mike McBrine
- Pro-AM Motorsports Street: Mike McBrine
- V-Pro: Carl Mills
2015 CMDRA Award Winners:
- Most Devoted Volunteer: Monica Westling
- Best Dressed Team: Vector Racing
- Most Devoted Volunteer Group: Phoenix Racing
- Rick Davie Memorial Award – Sportsmanship On & Off the Track – Steve Bunn
- Rookie of the Year – Jon Andres Memorial Award – Trev Flight
- Wrench of the Year – In Memory of Dave White – Frank Wahl
- Dennis Mark Memorial Award – Outstanding Achievement – Matt Mackay-Smith
- Trev Deeley Award – Contribution & Dedication to Canadian Motorcycle Drag Racing – Patrick Lambie