Gulf Oil Drag Racing Builds Championship Lead
Cambridgeshire, UK, 5th September 2018
Following the team’s outings at the Harley Davidson 115th Anniversary event in Prague, Czech Republic and the Goodwood Festival of Speed with Team Principal Ian King on riding duty, Filippos Papafilippou returned to the saddle of the Gulf Oil Drag Racing machine for race duties at the FIM European Championship event in Hockenheim, Germany at the NitrOlympX.
Looking to prove that his stunning performance and event win at the previous round at Santa Pod, UK was no fluke `Fast Fil’ took to the tricky surface on his Puma TFB with a 5 second pass in mind only to lose traction almost from the hit of the throttle. The experienced team took a smart decision on the tune and Fil returned to run an `oh so close’ 6.000 seconds at 333.68 KMH to take the number one qualifying spot away from his closest title rival Rikard Gustafsson from Sweden’s 6.03s at 400.18 KMH.
Qualifying day 2 was again bathed in sunshine and saw both the trials and tribulations of the fastest and quickest motorcycle sport in the world when Fil and Rikard ran the fastest and quickest side by side run (and the first side by side in the five second zone) in European competition – 5.980 at 365.15 KMH for Fil and a 5.918 at 400.70 for Rikard.
However, their stunning achievements on track were tempered by the sad news that Rikard had parted company with his own Puma powered machine at very high speed, necessitating an emergency helicopter to take him to Mannheim hospital for treatment for a broken arm and ribs, punctured lung and bruised liver.
With the team being asked to run a demonstration pass in the spectacular night show in front of 80,000 enthusiastic spectators they took the decision to sit out the fourth and final qualifier, thereby ensuring Gustafsson retained his number one qualifying position for race day.
The great weather continued into raceday and saw Fil up against Malta’s Glenn Borg on The Gulf Oil riders former nitrous injected machine. The tricky surface saw Borg stray into the other lane where thankfully Fil was way ahead, recording another 5 – a 5.956s at 367.99 KMH.
Round 2 saw Fil take on UK rider Stuart Crane whose game 6.95s at 299.05 KMH was no match for Fil’s 6.126s at 366.69 KMH to take him into the final against French rider Eric Richard on his impressive turbo Suzuki. However, the anticipated on track duel failed to materialise when Richard’s machine failed to fire and Fil soloed for the win with an early shut off pass.
Filippos and the team take their lead in the championship to the next round in Santa Pod, UK for the final round in the FIM European Drag Racing Championship this weekend the 7th – 9th September.
For more information on the team:
- Website: https://www.gulfoildragracing.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ian.king.73113
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/kingracingpuma
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @kingracing
- For more information on Gulf Oil International go to www.gulfoilltd.com
The Gulf Oil Dragracing team uses and endorses exclusively Gulf Oil greases and lubricants in their history-making machine. The team is extremely proud to be supported by many leaders in their chosen markets in their participation in the 2018 FIM European Championship:
- APE – The world’s most innovative manufacturer of aftermarket parts for race bikes
- BARNSDALE LEISURE – The UK’s Premier Knaus Caravan dealer
- COMETIC GASKETS – The Premier Manufacturer of racing gaskets
- GATES – The world’s most trusted name in drive belts, hoses and hydraulics
- GOODRIDGE – The most innovative and the best in fluid transfer systems
- GRAND PRIX ORIGINALS – The brand for drive and lifestyle, past and present
- GULF OIL INTERNATIONAL – The world’s most iconic brand in automotive fuels and lubricants
- GRAPHITE ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING – A leader in 3D printed technologies and rapid prototyping
- H CRAFT CUSTOMS –- Race car preparation, roll cages, fabrication and custom projects
- HOTROD HANGAR – Home of the world renowned custom artist Knud Tiroch
- HYPERPRO – The leading producer of progressive suspension products for motor bikes
- JE PISTONS – The world’s premier manufacturer of high performance forged pistons
- JOHN AND DEA MORGAN RACING – The creators of the world’s most advanced New Age Funnybike
- KIBBLEWHITE PRECISION MACHINING – The highest quality valve train components available
- MICKEY THOMPSON – Simply the best drag race tyres in the world
- MRE – Leaders in trackside support for drag race components and air shifting systems
- MTC ENGINEERING – Manufacturer of clutches for the fastest motorcycles in the world
- NITROSHUTTER – Europe’s leading dragracing photojournalists
- NCTENGINEERING – Manufacturer of the world’s leading non-contact motorsport torque sensors
- NGK SPARKPLUGS UK – The world’s number one spark plug manufacturer
- PAR WILLEN – Master webmeister and proprietor of HarleyDrags.com
- PORTABLE SHADE – The best custom branded collapsible canopies available
- PRO ALLOY MOTORSPORT – The UK’s leading fabricator of alloy tanks, intercoolers and radiators
- ROSE AND COMPANY – The UK’s largest importer and stockist of Thule RV products
- SCOTT PERRI TRUCKING – Logistics solutions par excellence
- TRIM TEX – The premier manufacturer of vinyl drywall beads & accessories
- TRYKA LED – the UK’s cutting-edge LED lighting manufacturer.
- VAN ES MOBILITY – The leading manufacturer of telematic products for management of moving objects
- VANSON LEATHERS – The most iconic brand in motorsport leather goods
- WEB CAMSHAFTS INC – Simply THE company for Top Fuel Bike camshafts
- WORLDWIDE BEARINGS – The world’s leading supplier of ceramic bearings for racing
- ZODIAC – Europe’s largest supplier of performance and aftermarket HD parts