Top Fuel Rule Changes – The Turbos are Coming
Effective immediately, class rule changes have been made in Top Fuel to allow Turbo/Methanol machines to enter in Top Fuel and compete alongside the more traditional blown nitro bikes. This prospect of change has been a hot topic of discussion in Top Fuel over the last eighteen months’ time, dating back to the first-time appearance of a Turbo/EFI/Methanol entry in Nitrous Express Pro Open at the 2018 World Finals.
The at the time all-new machines did not disappoint by running a 6.19 world record best for a non-nitro burning entry. Since that time another half dozen or so of these very potent machines have been built and are actively in competition.
After very careful consideration, ManCup has decided to allow entry of these new-style machines in Top Fuel, albeit with a minimum performance criterion that must be met before entry acceptance.
No changes will be made to Nitrous Express Pro Open. These new style machines will still be legal in Pro Open. This class, as it has since it’s inception, will be the “run whatch brung and hope you brung enough” category where many unique and record-setting combinations have landed in over the last six seasons.
“This major change in operation was not taken lightly, it was given weeks of consideration” stated ManCup Principal Jay Regan. “I know there are very strong feelings on both sides of the aisle here and this decision has been made with the long-term health of our premier category in mind. There is no longer just one of these new-style machines, there are quite a few and many of them have run numbers that are reflective of premier class performance. We also hope that the inclusion of these machines will ultimately create the building of MORE traditional blown nitro top fuel bikes, as it has in Europe.”
These new rules will be in place for the upcoming 190hookup.com Nationals at Rockingham Dragway September 11-13. The freshly revised rules, entry fees and payout information are all located on the official ManCup.info ManCup website and all competitors in all classes are encouraged to check-in with the website on a regular and ongoing for all things about ManCup motorcycle drag racing.
TOP FUEL RULES
The Top Fuel class is the pinnacle of motorcycle drag racing performance. Top Fuel is currently reserved for the quickest and fastest motorcycles in competition.
- Traditional Top Fuel motorcycles with supercharged engines using mechanical or electronic fuel injection and up to 100% nitromethane fuel.
- Non-traditional Top Fuel motorcycles with turbocharged engines using mechanical or electronic fuel injection and up to 50% nitromethane fuel.
- Top Fuel Twin motorcycles with injected or supercharged engines using mechanical or electronic fuel injection and up to 100% nitromethane fuel.
- Transcontinental entries that have actively participated in Top Fuel an accepted (FIM / ACU – Europe and ANDRA – Australia) Top Fuel category within the last 18 months. These International entries will be subject to their own governing bodies Top Fuel class eligibility primarily and ManCup class rules secondarily.
- Top Fuel – Traditional: NONE
- Top Fuel – Turbo: Rider and entry both must have a time slip in ManCup competition or ManCup testing at under 6.40 seconds within the last calendar years time.
- Top Fuel – Twin: NONE
- Top Fuel – Transcontinental: NONE
ManCup has no licensing requirements for Top Fuel. Any rider new to ManCup competition may be subject to initially running single passes for safety reasons. Any rider deemed unsafe for competition by the event director may be subject to removal from the field and required to make single passes only until deemed safe for competition.
An onboard data collection device is strongly encouraged on all entries.
The entire fuel system including the fuel pressure gauge and pressure transducers should be assembled using braided stainless-steel lines and done in a professional manner. ManCup reserves the right to exclude an entry if the fuel system is not deemed to be safe for competition. A positive action handlebar-mounted and spring-loaded fuel safety shut-off switch with an emergency lanyard attached to the rider is required on all nitromethane powered machines. It is suggested the lanyard connection to the rider be on the opposite side of the blower intake. All Top Fuel entries must have an external means to turn off the fuel while the body is on the bike and the rider is in the seated position.
Minimum wheelbase 79.00” and no maximum wheelbase.
The minimum weight is 675 combo bike and rider. No maximum weight.
There are no specific bodywork requirements. The primary purpose on Top Fuel bodywork is for aerodynamic efficiency and rider safety. Rear fenders are recommended to extend at least a minimum of 50% of rear tire diameter beyond the rear axle centerline. Rider seating area is recommended to be of fabric or be of anti-skid texture for rider safety. ManCup reserves the right to exclude an entry if the bodywork is deemed to be unsafe for competition.
Minimum rear slick width is 10.00” and the maximum is 14.00”
- Nitro: Refer to fuel system A positive action handlebar-mounted and spring-loaded fuel safety shut-off switch with an emergency lanyard attached to the rider is required on all nitromethane powered machines.
- All others: A rider attached emergency lanyard is required. When the lanyard is pulled, both the fuel pump and the ignition system will be disarmed.
About Man Cup Motorcycle Drag Racing: Headquartered in Safety Harbor, Florida, Man Cup motorcycle drag racing is North America’s largest professional motorcycle drag racing sanctioning body. Man Cup promotes motorcycle drag racing on a national event basis for professional, sportsman and ET bracket racers alike and is open to riders of all skill and experience levels. The Man Cup Series is the only national event style motorcycle drag racing series comprised of events throughout the eastern half of the United States. For marketing opportunities with the Man Cup as well as more information on Man Cup Motorcycle Drag Racing, please visit www.mancup.info on the web or 727-742-5245 voice/text.
- April 3-5 / Orlando Speed World – cancelled
- May 1-3 / South Georgia Motorsports Park – cancelled
- July 10-12 / Dragway 42
- Sept 11-13 / Rockingham Dragway
- November 18-22 / SGMP World Finals
The Man Cup Series is brought to you by our sponsors : Adams Performance – APE – Bates Leathers – Carolina Cycle – Cometic – Cooper Performance – D&G Chassis – DME Racing – Daytona Senors – Dragbike.com – Exotic Cycle – Falicon Performance – Fast By Gast – Grothus Dragbike – Hawaya Racing – Hot Rod Chrissy Photos – HTP Performance – JRI Shocks – Lectron – MoTec – MPS Racing – MRE – MTC Engineering – Muzzys – Penske Shocks – Pingel Enterprises – Portable Shade – PR Factory Store – RCC Turbo – Roaring Toyz – Rob Bush Motorsports – Rockingham Dragway – S&S Cycle – Schnitz Racing – Shinko – Star Racing – Western Power Sports – South Georgia Motorsports Park – Trac Dynamics – Vance & Hines – Ward Performance – Web Cam – Wiseco Pistons – Worldwide Bearings – Wossner Pistons