Lately, the buzz going around the pits and behind the keyboards has
revolved around what defines a “Pro” rider. Dave Schultz was a Professional Rider, how do your stats stack up against his?
- Most successful Pro Stock Bike racer in history. 45 NHRA national event wins and six Winston championships, (1987-88, 1991, 1993-94, 1996).
- In AMA/Prostar competition, Schultz earned two championships (1991, 1994) and 21 national event titles.
- He also holds the record for most consecutive NHRA event wins in a row at 8 set in 1994.
- In addition, Schultz recorded 7 IDBA championships and is the only racer to score motorcycle drag racing’s “Triple Crown” – simultaneous championships in NHRA, AMA/Prostar and IDBA – which he accomplished in 1991 and 1994.
- 1985 won his first NHRA national event at the Winston Finals that year. In 1987, Schultz posted four wins and claimed his first national championship.
- The sports biggest rival was Dave vs John Myers – between them they won every Pro Stock Bike championship from 1990 to 1996 – maintained a mutual respect. Together, they became the torchbearers for the class when Pro Stock Bike legend Terry Vance retired in 1988.
Photos by Matt Polito – Stats by Keith ‘Scooter’ Kizer