Schnitz Racing Southeastern Drag Bike Association
Brainerd Motorsports Park
April 9-11, 2021
SDBA: VooDoo Racing 2021 Season Opener Results
On April 9-11, 2021, at Brainerd Motorsports Park (BMP), in Georgia, the Schnitz Racing Southeastern Drag Bike Association (SDBA) hosted the VooDoo Custom Motorcycle Components season opener, as they began their second season of operations. On Friday they hosted test sessions, the What-A-Graphic Jr. Dragster shootout, and the very popular Hard Times Parts & Service Shootout.
The attendance of racers was everything the SDBA co-owners, Sonny Vick and Brian Dale could have hoped for. Early testing on Friday had its share of disillusionments for some, but by the second test session, racers and fans witnessed what truly happens in the pits between rounds when the Weeks Performance 4.60 entrant, Smokin’ Joe Rodney laid down a “perfect” 4.600 pass to the delight of the spectators in the stands.
SDBA action continued on into late Friday night with the Hard Times Parts & Service 32 Bike Shootout, and due to rain delays & time constraints, the $3,400 purse was split 4 ways by mutual agreement between, Sonny Vick, Dustin Lee, Joe Deck, and Duane Jackson. Racing ceased Friday at just after 11:30 PM.
In the What-A-Graphic sponsored Jr. Dragster class, Blake Crawford took the $1000 win over runner-up Avery Bolding who took home $400.00 cash.
Saturday day started off with rain and drizzle from sunrise forward. At 11 AM, SDBA and BMP decided to postpone the program until Sunday when the forecast would improve. Later in the afternoon, it was decided that a pit bike would be held Saturday night for fun. And it was a huge hit with over 100 entries, including golf carts and other assorted machines.
The fun wrapped up well after dark with a Golf Cart/Scooter battle. Golf Cart competitor Ashley McCarver was on driving duty with her dad Charles Gazaway assisting as they faced bracket ace Bob Burt in the finals. Ashely got the win and the lion’s share of the cash, with a good time had by all!
Sunday the gates at the eighth-mile Brainerd track were open before daylight, and the SDBA, VooDoo NAtionals was underway promptly at 10 am with one test-n-tune pass and then straight into qualifying.
- Weeks Performance 4.60 Index – Smoking Joe Rodney, 4.600
- Schnitz Racing Top Gas 5.10 Index – Joe Deck, 5.108
- MTC Engineering Super Comp 5.60 Index – Wes Brown, 5.602
- BB Racing Ultra Sportsman 6.0 Index – Dusty Brazel, 6.003
- HTP Performance Super Sport Heads Up – Brain Dale, 5.944
- MPS Pro ET – Jonah Allen
- Brock’s Performance Street ET – Dustin Lee
- Sneedville Upholstery & Trim V-Twin – T. Horton
- What A Graphic Jr. Dragster – Maddie Calhoun
Racing went underway off Sunday with very few delays the entire day. The competition was tight and off-the-hook, not only in the Weeks Performance 4.60 and the Brock’s Performance Street ET class (68 entries) but virtually every class.
Highlights of the day were:
- Chase Van Sant laying down a perfect 4.600 in the 4.60 eliminations.
- Charlie Farrar with a .998 60′ that unfortunately broke him out on the big end.
- Brock’s Performance Street ET competitor Randall Cross left the line on his red Kawasaki ZX-14 with a hard launch that threw him up at a 60+ degrees in the air! He never lifted and rode out the insane wheelie for more than 500 feet!
Weeks Performance 4.60 Index
W- Michael Murphy / 4.717 RT .4132 at 135.09
RU- Tommy Saxon / 4.717 RT .4429 at 133.37
Schnitz Racing Top Gas 5.10 Index
W- Kurt Clark / 5.113 at 139.75
RU- Joe Deck / 5.099 at 122.28
MTC Engineering Super Comp 5.60 Index
W- Wes Brown / 5.554 at 125.69
RU Duane Jackson / 5.696 at 122.28
HTP Performance Super Stock Heads Up
W- Brian Dale / 5.918 at 125.10
RU- C J Cobb / 6.061 at 125.73
BB Racing Ultra Sportsman 6.0 Index
W- John Markham / 6.006 at 114.35
RU- Dusty Brazel / 5.917 at 114.97
MPS Racing Pro ET
W- Joe Deck / Dial 5.10 / 5.097 at 133.05
RU- Marshall Hutchinson / Dial 5.96 / 5.908 at 126.29
Brock’s Performance Street ET
W- Dustin Lee / Dial 5.71 / 4.695 at 123.18
RU- Wes Brown / Dial 5.56 / 5.543 at 126.29
Sneedville Upholstery & Trim V-Twin ET
W- Sonny Vick / Dial 9.30 / 9.293 at 72.83
RU- Stacey Smith / Dial 7.69 / 7.651 at 87.26
What A Graphic Jr. Dragster
W- Branson Jones / Dial 7.86 /7.841
RU- Drew Brown / Dial 8.22 / 8.260
In talking with SDBA owners Sonny Vick and Brian Dale after the event was over, they’re pretty humble guys. Both of them are really happy that all their racers support them and come back race after race. The sanction is growing and both Sonny and Brian gave the credit to their racers.
“In my opinion, and this being my very first SDBA event, there is a lot of respect and a true sense of family floating around at the SDBA events,” stated Tamre Martin for Dragbike.com. “You should all come out to one of their races and experience it for yourself, I know I’ve found a new home. Thank’s to all of you at the 2021 SDBA VooDoo Opener for welcoming me to the family.”
The next event for SDBA is May 7-8, 2021 at Montgomery Raceway Park.
See you at a track, soon!
– Tamre Martin
2021 Motorcycle Drag Racing Schedule
- April 10 / Brainerd Motorsports Park – Ringgold, GA
- May 7-8 / Montgomery Raceway Park – Montgomery, AL
- June 5 / Huntsville Dragway – Harvest, AL
- June 26 / Crossville Dragway – Crossville, TN
- August 7 / Kentucky Dragway – Clay City, KY
- September 4 / Crossville Dragway – Crossville, TN
- October 2 / Huntsville Dragway – Harvest, AL
- October 30 / Brainerd Motorsports Park – Ringgold, GA
2021 Class Entry Fees and Payouts
- Weeks Performance 4.60 Index
- Schnitz Racing Top Gas
- MTC Engineering Super Comp
- HTP Performance Super Stock
- BB Racing Ultra Sportsman
- MPS Racing Pro ET
- Brock’s Performance Street ET
- Sneedville Trim Upholstery V-Twin
- What A Graphic Jr Dragster
- Hard Times Friday Night Showdown